Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I'm not the only one that has had problems trying to get the Hood to line up and lay down Flush. It just will not let me rig it properly.

What I'm I doing wrong?

Frank Boyce

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Not the only one by a long shot. Using a hood hinge? If so, the best way to get it lined up is to loosen up all the bolts for the hinge brackets, then close the hood, then line up the hood in the opening where you want it, then while someon holds it in place, climb under the car and tighten 'em all up. A small kid with a ratchet helps tremendously.

Have fun, it's a bit of a chore. I spent considerble time getting mine right.

·
Master
545 Posts
First drill holes through the F-panels so you can tighten the allen head bolts.(3/4 to 1" holes) Close the hood with all the bolts some what loose. Adjust the hood gaps and hold the hood in place. Tighten all the bolts through the wheel wells.

I think a few of the allen heads are hard to put a wrench in them with the hood hinge closed. So I cut a small 1/4" section off a allen wrench and held it in place with a very small box wrench.

That worked for me...

Troy

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Another option is to drill out your F-panel rivets, take off the F-panels, adjust/tighten hood, then reapply the F-panels. The manual should have a "warning" that states NOT to install the F-panels until the very end of the build if you have hood hinges. The pro's know this, FFR seems to forget.

·
2,987 Posts
On some chassis the forward links of the hood hinge hit against the upper radiator support. This also causes the front of the hood to not lay down. We have notched the support and that problem goes away.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Mine was one of the easyier projects. Assembeled and painted hinge. Bolted to car so it was still movable. Moved up-down side to side until it ligned up then riveted top part to hood and sne=ugged down all bolts. Took about 40". Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Originally posted by Troy Thorne:
First drill holes through the F-panels so you can tighten the allen head bolts.(3/4 to 1" holes) Close the hood with all the bolts some what loose. Adjust the hood gaps and hold the hood in place. Tighten all the bolts through the wheel wells.Troy
I had drilled access holes in mine ahead of time.Snugged all the bolts(little over finger tight),shut the hood,made sure it was centered,and level with the fenders,then tightened everything up from inside the wheel-wells and underneath the car. Took all of ten minutes. Good luck.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
You can skip the holes in the F panels by using carriage bolts in stead, by using carriage bolts the square shank at the head holds in the slot so you only need one wrench, this simplifies the task of tightening the bolts after you get things lined up.
Lile

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Carriage bolts is the way to go. I used them, loosened all of the hinge nuts, centered the hood, got under the car, and with the help of a long extension, tightened most of the nuts enough that the hood didn't move when I opened it to tighten the rest of them. Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts