Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vegasjack
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, there is hope out there. I just picked up a complete FF Mark II that has been sitting in a guys garage for 15 years. He ordered top notch extras too. Custom seats and IRS support/cradle system from FFR and had a IRS Pineapple and related necessities. This project is in perfect shape. The body was still sitting on the frame as delivered from factory 15 years ago. It doesn't get much better than to have a Cobra to drive and another one to build. Got it for a very-very good price too.

Now, to add frosting to the cake, he had a complete 1989 For Mustang 5-speed that I got with it.

Having said that, the IRS looks like quite a challenge to install. A big challenge! A little above my pay scale. But, I will get-er done. Hey Big Blocker. Keep your phone charged!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,120 Posts
The old style IRS can be a bit of a pain but it's mostly just aggravating. Not actually difficult. When you get to that stage we can help. Look for build threads from phileasfogg and Carl Williams to get some info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats, I bought mine same way. Sitting for 9 years without a single bolt installed. Included lots of extras and a complete running donor car. Mine is a Mark III and is now licensed and driving but still in gel coat.

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
This is going to be fun! I had no idear there were still unfinished MK2's out there, not to mention "not even started."

If you got it all on the cheap, I would KEEP or SELL that Fox Body and go with all new parts. Your choice, though.

Cheers & :beer:'s

·
Vegasjack
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is going to be fun! I had no idear there were still unfinish even started."

If you got it all on the cheap, I would KEEP or SELL that Fox Body and go with all new parts. Your choice, though.

Cheers & :beer:'s
I agree on new parts, but not totally possible. A lot of things I need to use, like the fuel tank. But, not oppose to having one made either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like you found yourself a good project. Funny how it is pretty much the same car that I have. MKII, 89 Mustang, 5-sp and IRS. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
11,798 Posts
Are you sure it's a MK2?

Mine is #4453, an early MK3 from 2004. There was a bit of an overlap in numbers, but #5299 is 846 numbers later.

Very interested in your build. Let us know!

·
Vegasjack
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you sure it's a MK2?

Mine is #4453, an early MK3 from 2004. There was a bit of an overlap in numbers, but #5299 is 846 numbers later.

Very interested in your build. Let us know!
Because of the number, I thought it was a mark III also. But upon further inspection, it has the signs of a Mark II, as in the steering shaft coming out of the side of the foot box. No tow loops either.

·
Charter Member
706 Posts
Mine is 5262K of June 2002 and was sold as a very late Mark II. I believe Mark III's were already being produced. What finally convinced me to buy it was an enormous discount on the older version. As I recall, I was able to get the powder coated frame, front control arms and the IRS option essentially free. I still can't understand why FFR doesn't publish an official list of the numbers. Perhaps they just don't know.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Mine is 5262K of June 2002 and was sold as a very late Mark II. I believe Mark III's were already being produced. What finally convinced me to buy it was an enormous discount on the older version. As I recall, I was able to get the powder coated frame, front control arms and the IRS option essentially free. I still can't understand why FFR doesn't publish an official list of the numbers. Perhaps they just don't know.
I think you may be mistaken. Mine is a MK2 and it's #3906 and I got it in November of 2002, and if I remember correctly, the MK2s hadn't been out long and there was no talk of MK3s yet.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Mine is 5262K of June 2002 and was sold as a very late Mark II.
3319, a very late mk1, was delivered in late Feb 2002. I don't believe that there were 1900 kits built in 4 months.

Perhaps they just don't know.
You're a winner. I also seem to remember that there was a computer crash at FFR in the mid 2000's that totally erased any memory of what was done before the crash. So any info from FFR at this time is probably just a legend in someones mind.

Derald

·
561 Posts
FWIW: First MKIII was FFR 5095sp, serial number assigned 05/05/2004. There were a few higher number MKII chassis because we were in production of them still while the MKIIIs were ramping up but that is the definitive start of MKIII production.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
FWIW: First MKIII was FFR 5095sp, serial number assigned 05/05/2004. There were a few higher number MKII chassis because we were in production of them still while the MKIIIs were ramping up but that is the definitive start of MKIII production.
Jim, what info do you have for the breaks between MK1-mk2, MK3- MK3.1, and from MK3.1-MK4 ?

This subject comes up quite often.

Derald.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts