Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new TKX into Mark I last night. With help from my friend who is fabricator. We cut top of tunnel including cross bracing out. Note TKX body is less wide than T-5 but is longer. Removed pressure plate and clutch. Cut about 1 inch off transmission support bracket. Slide transmission up and back as far as possible. Slide new bell housing on transmission installed clutch and pressure plate. Pulled transmission forward and bolted together. With new Ford bell housing every thing Bolts together. Will have to replace clutch plate different number of splines. The rear yoke needs to be replaced. A new bell housing. About $3000 dollars.

· Registered
59 Posts
Hi, was this a MK2 or MK1?

Also to confirm your changes;
1. New clutch due to different spline count
2. New Bell Housing
3. Cut bracing out of top of tunnel
4. Cut 1 inch off transmission mount (Any photos of this mod)

Did you have to shorten the drive shaft or change it out?

Thanks considering this for my MK2.

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,700 Posts
I am doing this swap as we speak. Car is currently apart, a MkII.

You have choices in the TKX transmission selection, but that input spline is dependent on which gear ratio set you choose. I went with the "Close ratio", so 10 to 26 spline on the input, new clutch disc. And yes to the yoke.

It is a bigger box, will be a bear to do in a complete car. I am doing a removable rear transmission mount/frame cross-brace, so the transmission can be hopefully lifted straigh up from underneath.

· Registered
59 Posts
I am doing this swap as we speak. Car is currently apart, a MkII.

You have choices in the TKX transmission selection, but that input spline is dependent on which gear ratio set you choose. I went with the "Close ratio", so 10 to 26 spline on the input, new clutch disc. And yes to the yoke.

It is a bigger box, will be a bear to do in a complete car. I am doing a removable rear transmission mount/frame cross-brace, so the transmission can be hopefully lifted straigh up from underneath.
Post some pictures of your removable transmission cross brace when you get it in. I've since replaced mine with a new T5 but might do a TKX in the future.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts