Factory Five Racing Forum banner

mark II switching to sn 95 spindles

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  weendoggy 
#1 ·
I was attempting to put the 12.88 rotors and wilwood 6 caliper brakes on the Mark II. I knew that I had to change spindles to the sn 95. I didn't realize that there were 94,95 spindles and 96-04 spindles. Well I ended up with 96 spindles from ebay. I then did some research and I already have a bump steer kit for the Mark II and thought I would bolt up the spindles to see how bad it was going to be. After installing a new lower ball joint (the new spindles are thinner) I bolted it up. I am working on the left front, and after bolting up the new 96 spindle when I turn the spindle to the left it now changes the camber and caster. (when I turn the spindle to the left it raises the upper control arm which makes no sense. I am wondering if I need to change the piece that connects to the spindle and the upper control arm? I wish I new what this piece was called. Any suggestions as I don't think that 94,95 spindles is going to fix this issue of the upper control arm raising and lowering.

Thanks for reading.

#3 ·
Your spindle adapters should have 4 holes. When using Fox spindles they bolt to the top and 3rd hole down and the SN95 spindles use the second and fourth holes from the top. If you attached your SN95s to the same set of holes as were used for the Fox spindles it would explain the issue.

Jeff

#4 ·
I did that exact swap, and all above are correct.

Also note, it will widen your front track by about 1/2" per side, so be aware of any new tire rub on the fender lip. (ask how I know).

I found that the Ford COBRA brakes have plenty of stopping force with the right brake pads, even on the track. Maybe try to SN95 brakes first before jumping right to the big stuff?

Dan

#7 ·
Apparently your car predates when they started supporting the SN95 platform as well as Fox. Post a "want to buy" in the classifieds here and on the other forum because there are a bunch of them floating around out there that were sent with complete kits even though they were unnecessary. If I dig deep enough I probably have a set somewhere...

Jeff

#8 ·
I don't quite understand what conditions your are getting that in. Car on stands and suspension hanging? Car on the ground and moving the steering like doing a caster sweep? In any case I am not sure I'd worry about the UCA moving. Camber and caster always move as the wheel is turned. In fact, measuring caster is done by measuring camber at a left turn and again at a right turn, and running those #s through a formula to calculate the caster. How is the alignment and the bump steer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.