Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So any experiences with March brackets on an FE? Trying to find a way to mount the original power steering pump since the factory bracket hits the steering shaft. Any experience getting a PS pump on an FE in these cars? Was going to see if maybe you could buy just the PS brackets from someone. My only other option at this point is fabbing a bracket for the 98' mustang minipump that I got with the rest of the hydroboost parts and hunting down a v-belt pulley that fits it. What say ye all?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
We use the newer mustang pump with their kit

Hey I even have 1 in stock foe a smokin deal [the kit or the pump]

steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
Same boat

I just tried fitting my FE 428 with full March kit (alt and power st pump) in the car and wouldn't you know - it hits the steering shaft. What are my options now that the March pwr st pump is mine and I'd like to use it? Is there any modification to the bracket or steering shaft that can be done? The kit looks fantastic and I'd hate to introduce some odd-ball pump the will clear the shaft but look like crap next to the billet March stuff? Thanks for any help on this!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So what kind of pump/brackets are we talking about here that fit the FE and around the steering shaft? Something i can get a picture of?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey AMUE2010,
If you're running a March kit #19025 (alt and pwr steering pump) like I am, you're most likely not too excited to swap out the March pump for a Mustang one either. I had my welder come by and take a peek about the clearence issue. We decided to "modify" (cut and re-weld) the power rack mounts. Our plan is to change the angle of the shaft on the rack (rotating it closer to the ground) so that the original steering shaft still fits. The steering shaft my however need to be shortened - we'll have to see. If you're in the same situation, let me know what your plan is and I'll keep you posted (or send pic's) when I get it finished.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i haven't bought the March kit yet, i kind of wanted to put it on there one day though, guess ill have to change plans. What i plan on doing now is just fabbing a simple bracket from the water pump to a 98' cobra minipump and buying a v-belt pulley. However, we are still looking at getting the Thompson pump hooked up with some home-made brackets. Ill post some pics of what i wind up doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts