Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a good 5 hours on the build today. What did I accomplish?

Trimmed the e-brake handle. I hate it. I didn't do my best work. Probably because of my angle grinder-phobia.

In the interest of keeping to my budget, I painted my side pipes. I hate it. I thought I did a pretty awesome prep job on them but the paint didn't want to stick. I don't really like the color, either. I tried something a little different and it wasn't a good idea.

Mounted the e-brake. I hate it. Can people really get the Street Performers to sit right with the stock e-brake? Doesn't seem like the pass seat will fit well at all. Plus, as I've read on the forum, it's really just a parking brake. No way you could reach it if you had a brake failure.

So what's next? I get to see if I can find a better place for the e-brake. I get to strip the paint off the sidepipes and get them ceramic coated. Basically, I didn't accomplish a thing!

Okay, vent over. I feel better now.

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
Just to put things into perspective...

When I was building my Roadster, the first engine lasted all of 30 minutes. Cam disintegrated, taking out pretty much everything. Cost to rebuild - $4200

After the car was running, I went through 3 starters, 2 alternators, 2 radiators, smacked a curb requiring a new axle and 2 rims repaired, a small fire in the engine compartment with flames shooting out the driver's louvers, and the right rear spash guard fell off and was run over.

So don't feel bad...it could be a whole lot worse.

2FAST

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you'd like I'd let you borrow my dog and you could kick him. Would that help?

Sorry you had a tough day. Hang in there. Noise will be happening soon!

Doug

PS - I don't really have a dog so don't send me hate mail. But my neighbor... :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad day.

I went through the same ordeal with the street performer seats, they just don't fit. I ended up bending the sides of the transmission tunnel in, bending in the sides of the seats, and moving the e-brake handle forward an inch to get them to fit.

I feel your pain. Keep at it , you'll get there.

Charlie

·
6,546 Posts
BTW the ceramic coater probably won't need you to remove the paint. Call them first, but usually sandblasting and/or dipping is included.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spent a couple of hours trying to wrestle the street performer seat in against the parking brake. The parking brake won. I gave up. My 15-year-old son tried after I left and succeeded in about 10 minutes. Teamwork, sort of.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, folks. Sorry to be a whiner. Just a little frustrating when things don't pan out. But you're right, in the scheme of things, none of these were that big a deal.

This week I'll miss my Saturday night trip back out to garage to admire what I accomplished! (Do you guys do that too or am I only the only oddball?)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I put my street performers in yesterday using the Breeze mountig kit. I put them in not quite straight because my right leg was more comfortable coming off the seat point toward the gas pedal. There were no fights, no screaming, or yelling. I did that 4 months ago when I did the Fiero E-Brake to the driver's left hand. The instructions were for a MK1 with a 3/4 side support tube, amazing how 1.25" can change geometries and fit.

I would do it again in a heartbeat - only issue is mounting Tri-Sates 4 into 4s as they want the same space on the rear 2x2 outrigger, but sadly I don't have to deal with that problem, YET.

Look at that option before you finally decide.

BTW - the car does look a whole lot better with a dash, a windshield, 2 roll bars installed, and seats that don't move when you get in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.