Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all geared up to make my Sidepipes which are different than the 427 style pipes. I would love to have something that is low restriction and somewhat quiet. I was thinking of straight tubing with CC inserts, 24 in race mufflers, or old school glasspacks.

All suggestions welcomed.

·
New
1,143 Posts
Are you thinking the quasi-undercar straight pipe look that turns out in front of the rear wheels? If so it opens up the possibility of hiding a regular muffler under the car behind the pipe. Most V-twin motorcycle pipes are actually small pipes hidden behind the larger chrome shields that are just complete enough to look like pipes. Run 1/2 of say a 3-3.5" pipe that is visible with a complete end for the turn out, but behind that and under the car there could be a 2-2.5" pipe with a flowmaster or whatever would fit and end it short of the end of the larger turn out. It would give you that single smooth pipe look while letting you quiet it down to a reasonable level. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I want the 289 FIA style.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
You would be far better off using a 18" auger than the Cc inserts. The CC inserts will kill a lot of power.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gordon

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
You would be far better off using a 18" auger than the Cc inserts. The CC inserts will kill a lot of power.
what about a merge collector with the auger

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those sound like straight pipes!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,961 Posts
I used a pair of these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h3843/overview/
at the end of the stock FFR pipes w/ an add-on turndowns like these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670171
This has given me a nice quieter than stock sound.
I have often thought that a piece of straight pipe and the turndowns could be used for the whole pipe. You could just keep sticking more augers in until you got the sound level you like. I guess the only question would be whether the number of augers possible (which is determined by pipe length) be enough to get the level down to where you want it.Good thing is the experimenting would be relatively cheap.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
One of the problems I see is the short primary Tubes that have to be used because of the design and space limitations.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After doing some research, unequal length short primary tubes for a street machine aren't a problem according to several tech articles written by header manufacturers.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
that's what I am running into 3 inch chambered classics...works just fine for me.. not sure what "problem" you were worried about.

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that's what I am running into 3 inch chambered classics...works just fine for me.. not sure what "problem" you were worried about.
Significant loss of horsepower

·
Registered
779 Posts
Does anyone sell stainless auger inserts? 3" or 3.5"?

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Significant loss of horsepower
shouldn't be an issue....my blue car was running shorties with stock j-pipes into lobaks and made 460RWHP with supercharger and the power was still climbing through redline....plenty of flow.

826 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
63 Posts
Bill,

Unique is building me a new set of sidepipes to march my newer heads. I have an FIA from them, let me know if I can help in any way with your side pipes. I can even ship my old units to you when they are done with the new ones as a template. FYI, I am fairly certain that any auger style or spiral muffler will hurt HP. I have chrome sidepipes and you can see the heat build up by the "bluing" of the pipes right before the spirals on my lobaks. I am switching over to a 3in classic chambered muffler with the new headers. This said the lobaks sound WAY better than the traditional glass pack muffler.

JU

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.