Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on the car for nearly 3 years now. Have been running the engine for over a year, but just to move it around the shop and such. Never got it truly warm, and never put it under a load.

Now the car is nearly done. So I trailered it up to Denver to get the EFI dialed in exactly right on the dyno. And to make one final power pull, just to see what the numbers are.

I took the car to Carl and Don Wade at S&S Automotive( www.coloradocobras.com ) in Denver. They have been working on high performance Fords for a long time. Carl races a really nice Cobra locally for fun, and he's real familier with this trick EFI system ( www.momarefi.com ).

So Carl spent a lot of time getting the fuel maps just right. Then the Haltech computer started acting up. It wouldn't recognize the 02 sensor, and wouldn't control the fan or shift light. He got together with Haltech, and they swapped out the computer.

Over the last week he noticed that whenever the engine gets hot, and is put under a load, it burns oil in a bad way. Couldn't get the emissions down to a reasonable level, it was so bad.

So we put our heads together and finally figured out the problem. I chose the wrong rings! For some wierd reason, I decided to use Speed-Pro's Zero Gap Second ring. Couldn't find any bad info on them during the decision process. And found a few articles stating their benifits.

However, when I talk to the experts in Denver, they tell me they have tried them on a number of engines. For racing, they are great. But on every street engine they've ever used them on, they have extremly poor oil control.

Oh, well. Live and learn. Now I have to pull the engine out, tear it all apart, and try again. This time I'll use the rings I've always used in the past - Speed-Pro chrome molly's. Should take me at least a month, probably 6 weeks.

Doesn't seem like I'll ever get this car done.

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Let not your heart not be troubled. I've been talking with Ford racing about getting their first COBRA-dressed engine since July 2004. Finally went to Detroit to see it dynod and the darn thing had timing problems. Ended up to be so bad that one of the cylinders got burned from running lean. Now have to start the wait all over again. My car is going to look like a Superformance Factory Five by the time I get the engine. But, the journey is part of the process. In the end, you'll have another great story to tell at the car show where you take first place.

Enjoy the ride

Snake

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, well. What can I say? For this build, I decided to go over the top. I've done things on this car I've never done before. I did a lot of research, and learned a lot of things; in the library, on the net, and in the garage. So far, this has been the only real disappointment. And it's clearly my own fault. I decided to try another new thing, and it didn't turn out well. That's the way life goes.

Am I disappointed? Of course. I was so close to registration I could taste it. I was dreaming of that first street cruise around town, expected to happen any day now. Now it will probably be another two months; maybe three. Dang it.

OTOH, if I finish the car, then I have nothing to do in my spare time.

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
Bob,
Sorry to hearabout your bad news, that's got to be a heartbreaker. I noticed tou said the engine had been run on and off for a year with no real load...........check out this article on break-in it could shed some light on you problem

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Let us know how things turn out.

Matt

·
18,090 Posts
Bob - Sorry to hear of your dilema. Matt (Oldschool) has pointed you to a pretty good article. Rings do require a substantial amount of combustion pressure to seat well. I've used the same rings you are using and have had similar oil control problems until the rings are seated. It is a ***MUST*** to do the bore and hone with deck plates when using these rings because they will not ever seat in a cylinder that is not perfectly round. Not that standard rings are much better, but they will eventually seat. I would run that engine for a while with a good grade of 10w30 in it and load her down on a dyno or run her on the road while bringing those cylinder pressures up. Do this by hard acceleration in higher gears to no more than roughly 4500 RPM. If she's like most of the others with a premium set of rings, she's just going to take some time to come all the way in.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sorry to hear about your engine problems. It is early in the season though, so even with a few weeks setback you'll still get plenty of "seat time" this year. Good luck.

Charlie

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
boB,
Sorry for your problem. On the bright side, it will still be warm when the car is ready. Not much consolation, hang in there.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I'm reminded of one of my favorite Farsides:

Two bucks standing in the middle of the forest and one of them has a target on his chest. The other one says:

"Bummer birthmark' Hal."

I probably shouldn't have read this as I am firing Buffy for the first time this weekend and I'm realy nervous. I've only been working on the car since late August (still put in about 400 hours) and have a small fortune invested--guess I'm jsut scared somethings going to go BOOM instead of Vroom!

Crossing the fingers and hoping you get that cobra open heart done in a jiff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts