Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned up the look on the back of my 33 by making a bumper for it.

I hate the way the FF fenders hang down and my hitch didn't help the
wonky look either, so I made a steel tube bumper that follows the body
shape and creates a clean line across the bottom. No paint yet because the end details still are undecided. Quick jacks would work there but I have something else in mind.
Dale
FFCars.com Photo Gallery - 33 rear bumper

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yrmv

Trailer hitch? What's the towing capacity? I'm new here and had no idea.
I haven't done the research yet but IIRC it's some kind of percentage based on the tow vehicles weight. Braking issues create the limit for safe stopping.

I will likely use a very small/light trailer or maybe even a cargo platform for a shorter trip. Tools, drag slicks, spare tire, cooler, the kind of stuff you would take on power tour definitely won't fit in the 33's trunk. A license plate will hide the receiver the rest of the time.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it means a lot coming from people of your talents
Dale

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vman inspired

That is such a nice result from a great idea. It looks just right. Congratulations Dale.
Barrel
V-man helped me refine what was wrong with the rear visual and then I took the path that I could achieve with my limited skills. He suggested a much more elegant fix but I have no skills in fiberglass work, maybe someone else will do his cool body extension.
Dale

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's such a great idea. Looks great and it's functional. I was thinking a little teardrop trailer to match would be awesome!
My current project would be cool too. 18' flatbottom with a soon to be finished 620hp BBC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whodunit

That's such a great idea. Looks great and it's functional. I was thinking a little teardrop trailer to match would be awesome!
My current project would be cool too. .
Your current project is very cool, but with a BBC and that trailer it would weigh
too much to tow with my 33.. I could def pull it, but stopping it would get ugly pretty quick.

Someone already has a picture of a cool trailer behind their 33
Was it Dr. Ruth ???????

Dale

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
winter beater

Dale , I would tell you when Hell freezes over but I think it did last night. Can you get out of the hills in Shawnee ?
Gary
My winter beater, the CTS4 does really well in the snow. The lax plow job by the city and the steep hills here have not been an obstacle. Our little slice of heaven is 5* this morning.
Dale

·
Registered
129 Posts
Buck's Bumper.

I cleaned up the look on the back of my 33 by making a bumper for it.

I hate the way the FF fenders hang down and my hitch didn't help the
wonky look either, so I made a steel tube bumper that follows the body
shape and creates a clean line across the bottom. No paint yet because the end details still are undecided. Quick jacks would work there but I have something else in mind.
Dale
FFCars.com Photo Gallery - 33 rear bumper
Dale. I liked this when I first saw it a couple of years ago and would be very grateful if you could post an update of this great idea. It certainly improves the rear view of the hot rod.
Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks

Dale. I liked this when I first saw it a couple of years ago and would be very grateful if you could post an update of this great idea. It certainly improves the rear view of the hot rod.
Cheers, Neil.
Neil
Thanks for the kind words, I will try to get some current pictures up soon.
Funny thing about that bumper is that yes it looked good as it was but I have now decided to move the fenders up and forward so the visual across the back will need to be re-designed when that is done. No images of that for awhile.

Over the last year there have been a lot of family issues including the passing of my father and spending a lot of time helping mom through that process.

My build has always been somewhat of a nod to Dad and the result of growing up in a racing family. The rollcage is a direct result of seeing him upside down more than once including a brutal end over end that made 3 full rotations before coming to rest right side up with both doors sprung wide open. The Hemi in mine is also a result of that upbringing from watching local and national legends run 426 Hemis on the fairgrounds tracks in the midwest

I have managed to install the license tag bracket making it a hidden hitch and
am just finishing up the driveshaft hoop today. I did complete the Mazda trunk hinge install including lift supports and a curved frame to re-shape the deck-lid to match the curve of the body. I also made a better looking wedge to mount the PS to the firewall and have drilled and tapped for all the button-heads that will fasten the firewall to the body.
I just recently finished installing 13" disc all around on the 33. Mine may be the only 33 at this point with a full set of BIG brakes. I also sourced a full set of pads with good cold bite from EBC so it will stop well without needing any heat in the pads first. The balance bar adjuster was a really easy add too.

The big brake project was the culmination of parts and advice on the rear combo from Richard Oben, suggestions by Jim Schenck and a parts list by John George for the front combo. For me the 2 forums make up a great resource that fills in all the holes in the build manuals and make a much better end result possible.
Dale Berry

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey barrel

I just updated the gallery with the pictures Neil asked for on the rear bumper, hidden hitch, license tag bracket. It's made from a spring loaded door hinge that I had laying around from my career as a Carpenter/Superintendent.

Dale Berry
7L Hemi33

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just updated the gallery with the pictures Neil asked for on the rear bumper, hidden hitch, license tag bracket. It's made from a spring loaded door hinge that I had laying around from my career as a Carpenter/Superintendent.

Dale Berry
7L Hemi33
Thanks Dale for these pics. I know how you feel about the design of the Hot Rod's rear end and these photos begin to show some of the changes you have been making. It's this type of dedication to a better build that we and FFR should thank you for.
Cheers,
Neil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts