7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At some point I am stroking my 302 to a 331 or 347. What kind of
can I expect to pay for machine work?

John

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
I had a 67 289 cleaned, bored and honed .030" over, connecting rods inspected and old pistons pressed off and new piston and pins pressed, crankshaft ground .010" and frost plugs installed for $425 at a NAPA. No head work was done. If you call and explain what you want, most shops will give you a good estimate.

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Bored .030 on cylinders, .010 on crank, cleaned, and all bearings and plugs installed- $450
I guess it depends where you live.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
I paid...

400-Clean, bore .030 and clear for stroker
200- Deck
150- Line bore and hone
80- Cam bearings and freeze plugs

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Don't forget the $150-250 for spin ballance of the rotating assembly if you stroker kit is not already ballanced.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I had my block hot tanked, deglazed, new cam bearings and freeze plugs installed (no boring necessary), and the main/rod journals on the crank cut .010", for a grand total of $225.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Mine with tax was $2100, cleaned, bored, clearanced, new cam bearings,
complete rotating assembly, forged pistons, rods, bearings and balanced.
I believe it was $400 for all the machine work, around $1600 for the parts.

·
Charter Member
574 Posts
Kerry,...Man, I would have opted for a machinist that may have a little bit more experience under his belt....looks like he did a good job, though.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
Good call Mac1 :D

I was quoted well over $1000 for bore/hone (+.010), tank, bore align surfacing, cam bearings, plugs, line bore and balancing...we only have one shop in the county.
Sounds like I need to start shoping down the hill.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,032 Posts
Mac1-

No kidding. I'm not sure I'd take my stuff to a guy who doesn't wear shoes in the shop ;^).

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
My 347 was $925. Worth every penny.

degrease & inspect block $65
magnetic particle block $30
clearance block for longer stroke $80
balance rotating parts $200
align hone mains & cam $100
resurface block $140
rebore & hone cylinders w/torque plates $200
polish crank $40
install new cam bearings $45
freeze plugs $25(leave galley plugs out)

Eric

The chevy 350 I built last was $180 total. Hone cylinders, polish crank, new cam bearings & freeze plugs. Rings never seated really well, go figure ;)

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
I'm generally in about $8-900 in block machining costs including a magnaflux of the main webs, bore, hone, deck, align-hone, cam bearings and cooking it (cleaning).. I install my own plugs, paint-prep etc..

·
Senior Charter Member
2,424 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot some stuff from my post. The block was magnafluxed, as was the crank, and the shop installed new cam bearings, in additon to everyerything else I mentioned in my other post. Yes, there is one NAPA near me that has a machine shop with a real good reputation. They do a lot of work for big garages and truck shops.

·
Senior Charter Member
820 Posts
you get what you pay for on this, and I wouldn't skimp on the machine work. Bring it to someone who knows what they are doing and it's worth spending the money to do it right.

call Andy at Powerhouse Machine

http://www.powerhousemachine.net/

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
Originally posted by 2001C5:
I paid...

400-Clean, bore .030 and clear for stroker
200- Deck
150- Line bore and hone
80- Cam bearings and freeze plugs
Now that must be nice. You try that in my shop and you are going to be picking all sorts of things out of your feet.

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about what you are going to pay, so much as who is going to do the work. Saving a couple hundred here or there is not going to help when the engine lets go at 6000 rpm. Find someone with the reputation for building good engines, and belly up!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can pick up a DSS level 20 block for $925.00
+ $200 shipping I think that is a good price.

For $2600+200 shipping, a 331 short block with the girdle.
I also think that is a good price.

John

·
Charter Member
1,558 Posts
jOHN
i WILL DIG UP MY RECIEPT FROM sIMPLEX. tHEY ARE IN pROVIDENCE AND DID MY WORK. I hate when I type without looking. Sorry for the caps.

Here it is.
Bake and clean block $100.00
Hone block $85.00
Install cam bearings $45.00
Install freeze plugs $36.00
Grind crank $115.00
Clean and spec. the pistons $88.00

$469.00
They supplied me with main bearings, timing set gaskets and some other misc. stuff at another $230.10

[ September 15, 2007, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Jim DeQuattro ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.