Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off - this is not illegal or "bending the rules".

Don't know if the MA DEP letter has been posted but see this post - http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/090770.html#000000

(Thanks John F) I took the letter from the MA DEP "Procedure to perform an emissions test on "Kit" or "Replica" vehicles" to my inspector. He followed the instructions in the letter and had no problems getting the car on the dyno. That is only the beginning as you now "MUST" pass the "Transient Test" which is engine running, going up through the transmission gears and the sniffer probe in the side exhaust. Note: Engine better be able to pass this test or you will fail. I PASSED (engine has catalytic converters). There is NO LIMIT to my yearly mileage.

There is another test "Two-Speed Idle Test" but you have to have approval (paperwork) and you have to pass engine running at idle with a sniffer probe in exhaust but emission limits are higher. This will also limit you to less than 2000 miles driving a year.

Jim

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
Jimmy, I'm due this month, too. Where can I get a copy of letter for my inspection station? I've previously been dynoed and two speed tested but need the scoop on bypassing the OBD window on their computer, otherwise I should be good to go. Thanks, Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Same here....ttt

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Copy of the letter is in this post.

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/13/t/000511.html

Jim said

"There is another test "Two-Speed Idle Test" but you have to have approval (paperwork) and you have to pass engine running at idle with a sniffer probe in exhaust but emission limits are higher. This will also limit you to less than 2000 miles driving a year."

Not true in my case.

I was given the two speed idle test (6/17/2007)and passed without the 2,000 mile restriction. I was not on the dyno.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob, thanks for posting that forum link. It just gets more confusing, not only to us (the owners) but to the station inspectors. I had to go on the dyno and transient test, you had no dyno and two-speed idle test, another owner just had his vin # input and inspection computer defaults for safety inspection. It would really be nice to have an inspection process that eliminated all the "guess work" but I guess that will never happen as that would be too easy.
Jim

[ July 02, 2007, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: JimmyZ ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts