Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found two problems on my tail lamps. 1. Two of the lamps had the red wire as the bright filiment and two had the green wire as the bright filiment. 2. As I disasembled the lamps to change the wiring two of the wires pulled out of the sockets. As I was changing the wires another simply fell out. I would suggest that these wires be soldered in place to avoid future problems. Oddly, the front lamps have the wires crimped into brass ferrules instead of the sheet metal connectors in the tail lamps. I never recall having this problem in 33 years of working on foreign cars. The cheaper connectors in the tail lamps must be a bean counters solution to production costs at Lucas vs. reliability. Barry

·
FFCobra Craftsman
705 Posts
Originally posted by THEOLDMAN:
The cheaper connectors in the tail lamps must be a bean counters solution to production costs at Lucas vs. reliability. Barry
...Lucas hasn't made those tail or parking lamps in many, many years. :D

...probably offshore re-pops

·
Trenchant
2,692 Posts
I once asked a man from England why they drank warm beer, which they are famous for.

He laughingly replied that he could assure me it wasn't out of choice, but that the refridgerators all had Lucas electronics in them.

If you've ever had a car with Lucas electrics in it you'll know what he meant.

I nearly fell out of my chair when reading the FFR website bragging about having any Lucas parts in the kit.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
I soldered mine in.. End of story.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,025 Posts
"Lucas vs reliability" - Lucas has successfully fought the battle against reliability for years.

This is the first time I was almost compelled to defend a bean counter.

·
8,350 Posts
Crimp the sleeves slightly; no problem. Am I wrong in assuming that you might solve one of your problems by trying to put the bulbs in 180 degrees from where they are now? Someone mentioned this as a solution to the same problem I had with bright vs. dim and it worked...go figure.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bulbs will go in only one way but the wires are easy to reverse. Remove wire and cheapo crimp terminal and add a touch of solder. Install terminal in correct position. The front lights are fine. Just as I remember them from years ago, a tubular heavy wall brass terminal with a good crimp on the wire. Barry

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
What a kick reading about mere mortals and Lucas electrics after all these years. Long may the legend of the "prince of darkness" reign if for no other reason than to bring a smile to the lips of "old" men....

·
3,760 Posts
I just spent about 4 hours getting all my taillamps set up properly. Although I'm not close to mounting them on the body, I got them out so I could solder in plug-n-play connectors to the harness.

The light assemblies adhere to typical Lucas standards, dunno who makes them. The first one fell apart in my hands while I looked at it, I'm not kidding. The red wire just fell out. I put a touch of solder into the ground connection on each one, and on three out of the four I had to pull the rubber cover and re-do the internal connections for the red and green wires.

AJ

·
1,569 Posts
I had the same experience while testing my wiring. I removed the rubber boot of all 6 (yes, the front amber ones suffer too) and noticed that the factory assembly step that presses the housing on sometimes crushes the wire if it's not centered.

I soldered all the connections and used the wife's hot glue gun to fill up the void while holding the two wires in the center of the opening.

·
3,760 Posts
Originally posted by Jester:

I soldered all the connections and used the wife's hot glue gun to fill up the void while holding the two wires in the center of the opening.
Awesome idea. I'm going to pull off all my boots again and do exactly that.

AJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts