Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
I did a ls1 coupe.

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
If your asking about the performance the LS1 is fantastic. It loves to rev and in stock form (around 400 fwhp) the car has some traction problems on street tires until 3rd gear. Check out my youtube site to see how it runs: stlmarshall's channel - YouTube

As far as the install goes it is all custom. The engine fits fine. The only issue I had was that the engine is a little taller from the center down to the bottom of the oil pan and bellhousing. I raised the engine as high as I could without the top of the trans hitting the trans tunnel. This placed the bottom of the oilpan and bellhousing about 1/16" below the framerails. Hood and side to side clearance is not a problem. The exhaust, driveshaft, and engine mounts will all be custom made by you.

Pics of my install: LS1 conversion pictures by mmarshall01 - Photobucket

How I did it: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-type-65-coupe/287666-new-engine-my-coupe.html

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike

Great info, thanks.

I know the LS7 is way overkill, but such a sweet engine... I am dreaming anyway until the 'boss' approves this, so why not dream big??

I think the LS1 would not pass emissions testing now, so maybe the LS3 is a more 'reasonable' choice than the 7.

Do you know of any 'cons' for the LS3? It looks like you have done some great work, thanks for sharing your experience!

The Coyote is the other obvious choice for emissions, but I like the chev...

Tony

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
Tony we have no emissions here, but why would a LS1 not pass? It should be just as clean as a coyote or LS7 with cats and some tuning. The LS7 is a great motor and has a dry sump which is important if you will run racing slicks. The Coyote is also a great option for about $4k less and only about 40 less HP.

Personally I like overkill that you then have to control with your right foot and driving skill!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.