Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I’m a newbie to the kit car scene but have recently been getting serious about building one myself . My question is , what are the advantages of a ford motor over the LS motors that the Blueprint company offers for the factory five Mk4 roadster. I’ve noticed many more builds with the Ford motors than the GM LS ones.
Tia

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Ford tends to be popular because the original kits were based around a fox body mustang and design for the Ford 302. The kits are still geared for small block and big block Fords. Not to mention the community.

You find a lot of Shelby enthusists building this car. The original car from 1965 had a Ford. Shelby had a famous relationship with Ford.

The FFR roadster is based on the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 powered by Ford.

Most of what you will read about and have access to will be based around Ford.

Probably some modifications will have to be made to accommodate a Chevy not sure if FFR offers the options to accommodate it from the factory.

Anything possible if you really wanted to use a Chevy I'm sure there is a way. Sounds like maybe blueprint took some of that process out based on what you said. It's all about custom and building to your likes.

Jason

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are on the other forum, Steve (godadgo) put an LS in his Factory Five. He is always trying to recruit people to go to the "dark side" as he calls it. Not sure he is on this forum but he is a great guy, knowledgeable and very encouraging.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
To add to what Jason said (all valid points) an LS powered Mk4 Roadster will have a lower resale value than if Ford powered. That's not saying anything remotely negative about the LS option. I'm building one of their hot rod trucks right now with an LS3. But the general public, including prospective buyers, usually expect a Ford powerplant in the Roadster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ford tends to be popular because the original kits were based around a fox body mustang and design for the Ford 302. The kits are still geared for small block and big block Fords. Not to mention the community.

You find a lot of Shelby enthusists building this car. The original car from 1965 had a Ford. Shelby had a famous relationship with Ford.

The FFR roadster is based on the 1965 Shelby Cobra 427 powered by Ford.

Most of what you will read about and have access to will be based around Ford.

Probably some modifications will have to be made to accommodate a Chevy not sure if FFR offers the options to accommodate it from the factory.

Anything possible if you really wanted to use a Chevy I'm sure there is a way. Sounds like maybe blueprint took some of that process out based on what you said. It's all about custom and building to your likes.

Jason
FFR offers a LS engine install kit and headers as an option.

FWIW, I am installing a Hemi in my Speedstar kit. FFR offers and install kit for the Hemi on the 33 kits too.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,955 Posts
Staying with modern engines for a moment, the Ford Coyote engine is huge, especially it's width, compared to a sbc. It can be made to fit of course and there are quite a few on the road. Going back in time I don't see a lot of difference between a Chev 350 and a Ford 351. I don't mean details, just that they are both V8s of about the same size and power output. 20-30 years ago I believe it used to be a little less expensive $ per HP for a sbc because there were so many of them. I am not sure if that is still true.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Chevy is now offering a 4 cam 32 valve V8 engine in the 2023 Z-06 StingRay as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Been driving a 4 cam 32 valve V8 engine in the Cobra since 2015.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
That was my concern, size and having enough space to do maintenance in the engine compartment.
SBF (302 or 351) take similar space in a Roadster engine compartment as a standard OHV LS. The 351 being slightly tighter at the plugs and headers and height needs to be considered. But fits and many do them. A Coyote (I've done two) is tight, but fits. Maintenance? Change the oil (easy) and drive it. Plugs go in through the top of the heads and are far easier than an OHV setup. But with the 100K miles change frequency, hardly a concern. With the somewhat limited miles we put on these, chances are you'd never have to do anything to Coyote. I would expect one of the newer 4-cam GM engines to be similar. But no experience with those. As long as you stay within these engine choices, to be honest, I wouldn't make space in the engine compartment for maintenance a decision factor.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,955 Posts
I am not a fan of a Coyote in an FFR but I can add some experience w/ the engine because my wife drives a 15 Mustang GT 6 spd. It has 60,000miles or so and I have done all the maintenance. Oil/filter change every 3500-4000 miles. Air filters when I think about it maybe 3 times so far. I was thinking the other day maybe I should change the coolant, yeah good idea, I need to remember that. So I agree w/ edwardB the engine never needs anything. OTOH, I had a 351 in my FFR for 10 years or so and then replaced it w/ a short block 408. The 351 had some problems because of the original builder but the 408 ran 5 years of autocrosses, club breakfasts every weekend, and as many errands as possible and all it ever got was oil changes and an air filter. The 351 is just a tad tighter on the left side than a 302 but it is no big deal because just one plug is a pain to get to. I changed plugs in the 351 a couple of times and never in the 408 so the old engines can be pretty maintenance free too.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'll put in another high praise of the LS, but it all depends on your intentions. If you want a more "period correct" replica, then yeah a small or big block Ford might be your best options, especially in the resale world. If you want modern, small overall size, huge aftermarket support, BIG hp/torque for cheap, then go LS.
For me, I wanted to track my MKIV so the LS was by far(FAR!) the best possible motor for my particular case. Crazy easy to work on, small in size, big in numbers, low overall cost, blah blah the list goes on. I built my Roadster before the Hotrod and other FFR offerings listed LS motor mounts or headers as options, so I was all on my own like other early adopters.
The custom pieces I built were headers, engine mounts, radiator mounts, tranny mount, and accessory brackets. None of them difficult, but some pretty involved and tedious like the headers. I went with a LS376/525 and with headers and tune it's probably in the high 500hp range, which is WAY more than the tires can put to the ground, all through a T56 Magnum 6 speed and 3.55 differential.
There is SO much room in the engine bay with this motor, easy to get at everything, and any aftermarket part you could imagine. The cons are the Roadster was not intended for a huge T56 tranny so the driveshaft is short, at the time I had to custom make several parts, and there is definitely a group of owners and enthusiasts that will roll their eyes at an LS in a Cobra. I have thick skin and a racing purpose so the latter didn't bother me at all, just offer to race for pink slips and watch them walk away. :)
For you in particular, it's all about what you want to do with the car. I do believe that a small block Ford is the most simple, low cost, moderate HP car available. If you're thinking about LS and have more questions, I'm happy to help and offer insight, just PM me. Just don't let anyone talk you out of doing what YOU want to do with the car. They are a blank slate and colorful palette to paint your own picture.
Some unique pics from the build that are LS-specific....
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Alloy wheel

Musical instrument Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Nickel Auto part

Rectangle Font Nickel Composite material Bicycle part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tread Bumper

Auto part Rectangle Tool Fashion accessory Metal

-TJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
One of the guys that works at FFR built a Cobra Coupe with a twin turbo LS. I believe he said it was putting 700HP to the wheels. I first saw this car at the FFR booth at Barrett Jackson. I was talking to him earlier this year and he had sold the car, it was to much of a handful to be enjoyable.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Hadn't heard that Dan sold his twin-turbo LS Coupe. Dave Smith and Dan posted a video on Facebook a few months ago of Dan and his new Ford F-150 Lightening electric truck. Looks like he made a pretty big change there.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sorta like, would you put a SBF engine in a Corvette?
Who makes the Speedstar?
Except the Corvette was actually produced by GM along with the majority of all the parts on the GM vehicle including the engine and transmission. The Cobra was made in the UK by Ace and shipped here where Shelby just dropped in an engine and trans.

The Cobra is kind of like buying a kit car and putting in the engine you want...oh..wait a minute....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts