Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the body off and I am playing with the front suspension. No information I can find on the tubular lower front control arms and how the fit up against the frame. By the way it is a complete kit and all the parts are new. They fit sloppy in between the frame ears. There is one spacer included and two washers. Where do they go? I have been looking for a pic on the forum to help but have not found one yet. Can't find a detail in the manual.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I used a large fender washer to take up the space. I believe that the spacing of the mounting tabs are for the stock Mustang arms that have different front and rear bushings. Do a search on front lower control arms. There is a lot of info of modifying the bushings for grease, spacers for the inner bushing to match the width of the bushing, and fender washers to take up the extra width of the frame ears.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like said you need to use whatever amount of shims/washers needed. To be sure mounting ears are parralel once the bolt is tightened. Not useing shims will cause the ears to bend inward when tight causeing the lower control arms to pivot on the outer bushing instead of inner steel bushing.

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
One of the forum vendors makes new steel sleeves for the bushings, that fix the problem. Either Mike Forte, Levi's, or Richard Oben, I can't recall, but look on their sites, you'll find them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sanford,

My search was too specific. Using front lower control arms did the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts