Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will my stock lower arms (92 mustang)fit with 17x9 cobra r rims? If so what back space do I use 4 lug is what i have thanks

·
15,282 Posts
I can't answer your question exactly. I'm using donor LCAs from a 2000GT with 17x9 Bullitt wheels up front. At full lock on the steering rack, they *will* rub slightly, worse on one side. The clear the body, barely. If I had it to do again, I'd run 17x8 wheels, as the same tire would fit. More info about the wheels on my build site -- link below.

Cheers, John

·
Senior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I need to use 17x8s on the fornt? What tire size? Im tryn to not have to buy new lower arms and still have some nice rims.Will I have any probs with the rear with this size are can I use some 17x10.5s

thank Dukegrad98

·
Registered
454 Posts
The FFR website specifies 17X9 for the front with a 5.98" backspace.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Johnny,

You can use 17x9, but you will most likely encounter some rubbing at some point through the suspension and steering's range of motion.

The solutions to this are fairly simple. At ride height you are looking for at least 1/8" clearance minimum. You can grind off the 'lip' on the edge of the control arms near the area of contact, or you can add small inserts (stops) to the steering rack itself to slightly limit the turning radius.

I have 17x9 Cobra R's on the front of mine (5.98" BS is correct) although I am using 1995 GT lower control arms and spindles. I have encountered the rubbing issue and got advice on clearance from Richard Oben of North Racecars.

Sean

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,707 Posts
On the front go w/ the 9 in wheels.You can grind the arms as mentioned above.If that doesn't quite cure it, then do the steering rack limiters.Briefly they are a small piece of pvc pipe cut to the right length so your wheels don't hit and slipped on the rack.About $2 worth of pipe does it.Is your car a MkIII? If so the 10.5s will fit but are hard to find in 4 lug.If it's a MkI or II you will need to do the 315 mod.
The other thing to consider is doing a 5 lug conversion so you can get 5 lug wheels.that's what I am in the middle off.$493 for 2 9x17s and 2 10.5x17s bullitts is just too hard to pass up.I've accumulated the rear stuff slowly and will buy the front rotor/hubs new.Do a search on 5 lug conversion for details.If you already had the 4 lug wheels,maybe it's not worth it.But since you need to buy wheels anyway...

·
Senior Charter Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent orderd my kit yet im just trying to get everything sorted out because im building on a dime.The 5lug kit is $399 from late model resoration.com its worth it just tryn to save a little what probs will i have with 17x9 fronts and 17x10.5 on the rear ill prob go with the bullits deep dish on the rear.With stock rear

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
4 lug 89 donor spindles and LCAs, had 4 link rear and upgraded to 3 Link using donor axle. I have one little bright spot on each control arm. I also have a rub spot on each of the alum F panels. IMHO - You are going so slow when you turn to full lock I am not sure it really matters.

I have 2 sets of Cobra Rs. 17x9 all arround with with 235/255s street (from donor) and 245/275 R compounds for AutoX. I really don't notice any rubbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts