Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to Mobile 1 oil 10W30 since my engine was broken in 5000 miles. Well I just notice about 2 weeks ago that at speed i'm reading about 30-33 at 4000 RPM (55psi at start up). I have autometer electric gauges. I was thinking to get a direct pressure gauge to verify. I'm also using FRAM oil filter. Somebody said that motorcraft had better flowing characteristics?? I was running Castrol 10W30 and had about 40 psi at 4000 which seems right. The only other thing i've done is gone to steel braided lines on the remote oil filter unit. The engine was a professional rebuild and has 8500 miles on it now. I'm not noticing any loss in performance or increased engine noise. Times at the 1/8 mile track are actually improving... Any thoughts are welcome...thanx

[ September 30, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Erik W. Treves ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,038 Posts
Is the inner diameter the same with the new steel lines as the old lines? If you went from say, 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch, you could have a problem.

Maybe your engine has broken in more and your clearances aren't as tight. Give a call to your builder.

I know of no reason the Mobil One would create this problem.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Is there a slight drop at around 4k? Some pumps will cavitate between 4k and 4400. The reference at 4k is what made me curious. There are non-cavitating pumps out there by most of the aftermarket if your worried or someday want to swap it out. 30 psi isn't that bad at 4k but you didn't fill us in as to what the readings are at other rpm's. If its bearings that your worried about it'll show with idle pressures dropping or fluctuating.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I'm running Mobil 1, braided -10 AN lines, and a Motorcraft filter. 50-55 psi all the time. I don't think its the oil.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Like Lee, we are using Mobil 1, Motorcraft filter in stock location, and are getting about 55 lbs running anything over idle and about 40 at idle. BTW, get rid of the Fram filter, they are garbage.

Frank.

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
Eric
If you have any question on your oil pressure use a mechanical test guage to see what your real oil pressure is. This is why FORD used a idiot pressure guage. 10-60 PSI reads the same on the Ford guage.This was Ford fix for oil pressure variations. Your pressure transducer could be getting HOT and changing your readings also.The remote oil fiter is just another thing to cause problems. Hook a test guage up with you elect. guage and see whats really happening.Try MOTORCRAFT oil filters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.