Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to mount the stock FFR louvers all week, but I'm not having much luck. I can't find the silver silicone sealant that I used on the rest of the aluminum, so I tried some clear 3M door and window stuff. No good, it peeled right off. Am I using the wrong stuff, or do I need to prep the underbody first? It's been coated with bed liner material and painted. I've been thinking of trying Liquid Nails, but I figured I'd check with the experts first!

·
Registered
467 Posts
some people use high strength velcro so they can easily be removed.

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I have Herculiner on the inside of my body, so I had the same problems with the silicone. What I ended up doing was getting a good self-adhesive velcro but also using hot glue on the body. The hot glue plus the velcro adhesive ended up being some kind of super-kryptonite comination. My louvers have been on for 2 1/2 years and haven't shifted a smidgin. I actually used the hot glue only for the brake and oil cooler screens.

·
2,987 Posts
We install the lovers and use fiberglass fabric along with a fiberglass gel product. Cut a couple stips of the fabric, about 2 inches wide and 8 inches long (guessing at the size, measure twice, cut once) Then mix some fiberglass gel resin, use a spreader and smear the gel over the cloth on both sides, then lay the cloth up over the top and bottom edges of the louvers.

To hold the louvers in while the cloth cures, I use two paint stick on the outside of the body, I run a wire through the louvers and back out, twist the wire around the paint sticks to hold the louvers in place while you lay up the cloth and let it harden.

The down side to this is that its permanent, you can't remove them.

·
3,212 Posts
Ed - I used the Finishline louvers along with the brackets they supply. Went to HD, picked up a package of their industrial strength Velcro. Like yours, my body is undercoated. The Velcro just would not stick properly, so I coated the adhesive side of the Velcro with some two part epoxy that I had laying around. Worked like a charm - don't think I'll ever be able to take the Velcro off the body now!

·
7,097 Posts
I used (six on each louver)the snap & click things that hold your speed pass transponder to the windshield. Works great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts