Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Lots of Carbon in motor

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  LT1FFR 
#1 ·
Lots of carbon is a sign of a rich fuel mixture or engine running too cool? Take a quess.

[ December 31, 2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: BillKnight ]

#8 ·
I'd bet it is just coming from exhaust gasses coming back in through thermactor or EGR or whatever route it takes. Owned my 89 doner since new and there was more carbon than I expected from the throttle body back. Had 148,000 miles on it, used name brand fuel, tuned regularly, and driven somewhat aggressively, but not hard. The cylinders all had a band of carbon around the top, but no ridge.

#9 ·
If you have a lot of camshaft and dont run it hard enough, this can show up as carbon on the floor of the intake. There is a time between exhaust closing and intake opening that is an "overlap period" in hot cams, during which they are both slightly open. This can cause carbon in the intake.

[ December 31, 2002, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: steve c. ]

#10 ·
This is a stock motor.Stock cam. The car has alot of power. I did a leakdown test and the results were averaging 97.5% per cylinder.This was much higher than I expected. My quess is that the engine was running too cold. I have a 180 t-stat.
There is alot of empty room under these cobra hoods. I always assumed that the cooler the engine ran the better. This condtion can also be caused by a too rich a mixture???? (That's a Question).
It maybe a combination of both!

[ December 31, 2002, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: BillKnight ]

#12 ·
Its going back together with a Kenne Bell installed so this may make it run a little hotter!
I think I'll get a accurate temp gauge and monitor it.

Drive it like you stole it.........
You goota love that line!

#15 ·
Forged pistons, standard tension oil rings, and running rpm's while cold will recirculate carbon throughout the system. No way to avoid it short of going with a cam with very little overlap plus plugging the egr and pvc. Anything with a bunch of miles will look pretty nasty inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.