Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put about 3 miles on my go cart 429. I noticed my left front wheel was loose. I have Trigo wheels with knockoffs. The round nuts/pins that hold the adapters came loose. I tried to tighen them by torquing them to 80 pounds. Two of them split in 2 or 3 places. How tight should I make them? My left rear also came loose. It took me about 3 hours to get my wheels back on the car. Major pain in the you know what. It seems that these nut/pins are junk. I think that they mushroom out from tightening them. I got them from Trigo. The wheels are great. Anyone having the same problems??? I had to grind the nuts/pins to a taper to even get my wheels back on my car.

·
Cobra Crazy
845 Posts
A couple of things could be going on with this problem. I have the same Trigo knockoff wheels and have not had any problems. Even ran the car for about 500 miles with no safety wires. Never an issue. It is supposed to be a very tight fit. I have over a thousand miles on mine now with some road course track time at over 110 mph. Never even a hint at loosening.

First "Don't grind the pins." Replace any damaged or cracked pins with new ones from Trigo.

Here are a couple of things to check.

1. There is a left and right setup. If you get this backward the wheels will back themselves off. The passenger side (right side) is left hand threads so it's Counter Clock Wise (CCW) to tighten or backwards threads. The drivers’ side (left side) is standard rotation (CW). This is very important to check.

2. The lugs must be cut to adjust the length so that the pins screw on correctly. Without cutting them you cannot tighten them correctly. The instructions give the necessary dimensions.

3. Once the pins are installed correctly you must grease them with anti-seize. It is often difficult to find the pins but once you do a simple bump with you hands will push the rim on correctly. It is a very high tolerance fit. Don't grind the pins because you don't want any "play" that will wobble out the rims.

Hope this helps. IMHO it sounds like you have the adapters switched (left on right side) and maybe you didn't cut the lugs to length. Don't forget to safety wire them once your done. The safety wire won’t stop the wheel from coming off but if you leave a tattle tell loop in the center of the safety wire you can tell that if they are loose with a quick look. If you want, I can post a pic.

Good luck,
Rick

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Along with what Lowcoutry said about the adapters, are the pins being loctited?
This is copied from the Vintage Wheel site.
"Drive pin lugs must be installed using high strength thread locker and torqued to the manufacturers specification. The typical torque setting for a ½ inch x 20-wheel stud is 85 ft lb."

·
FFR Craftsman
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the tips to my problem. I failed to say that I did have the wheels off before I drove it without any problems in remounting the rims/tires. It was only after I drove it that I had problems. I did order some more pin-nuts, and plan on using Lok-tite on them. Also grease them with anti-sieze. What brand???

·
Cobra Crazy
845 Posts
The Trigo instructions did not call for locktite. I did not locktite mine and I have not had any issues. It sounds like you got the adapters on the wrong side (left vs right). Did you cut your wheel studs as required?

·
FFR Craftsman
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lowcountry:
I discovered that I did Not cut my wheel studs short enough to get a good bite with my Allen head socket. I also did Not torque them down. Now they are shorter, and torqued down to @85 lbs. Also, I called Lynn at Trigo. He said that when the pin nuts came loose that I bent my studs some. So I bought an alignment ring to check the correctness of the studs with the pins on them. So I will correct them as necessary. Thanks for all the sugestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts