Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to find some 7/16 thread size, 2" long, steel or stainless steel standoff. Largest thread size I could find was 3/8.
Want to use for rear body mount bolts. Seems much easier to attach bolts and not have to try to attach top bolts with body on.
Recommended by Ken at Street rod painter.
Rob

·
Senior Charter Member
1,719 Posts
Or McMaster Carr Although the longest coupling nut they list in 7/16" is only 1 3/4" long in plated steel.

·
Charter Member
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, I was looking under wrong terminology, should have been coupling nuts.
Rob

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
7/16-14 threaded couplings

I spend a lot of time searching for the same coupling you are looking for. I never found one longer than the standard length at McMaster. https://www.mcmaster.com/90268a034

Here are some longer ones. Not stainless but you really don't need stainless.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-7-16-14-x-1-3-4-Long-Hex-Coupling-Nut-with-Zinc-Plate-NCU007C000STLZN/302487207697?hash=item466da47f11:g:lMkAAOSwpiNZtvii:sc:USPSFirstClass!91351!US!-1

I ended up making my own out of stainless 3/4" bar stock drilled and tapped 7/16-14. This is a whole lot of work and while it looks great I'm not sure I would do it again. You really can't even see it when the car is done and many just use a piece of wire loom to cover the threaded rod and it just goes away.

·
Charter Member
1,764 Posts
I use stainless all thread rod from the electrical / mech supply house. Cost $2.00 at foot

·
Registered
211 Posts
Got my coupler nuts from Home Depot. Length of the nut isnt incredibly important because you can thread a pair of lock nuts and a washer on the inside of the body tub to assist with making minor tweaks for trunk alignment etc. Once the body is where you want it, the all-thread can then be cut to length on the exterior side, then lock it all in place with metal sleeves and bumperettes or quick jacks. Acorn nuts on the outside can help you hide the exposed all-thread if that bothers you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts