Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could post pictures of what the Hammer Coat paint looks like on the engine bay aluminum. I have heard people mention it but haven't been able to find any pictures.

Thanks

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,835 Posts
I have the silver hammered paint finish, in the engine bay, and I like it, but is does not show up very well in pictures. It does look good in person.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have the black but in the same boat. The pics show up the silver rivets but other than that, it looks black there. It's pretty sweet in person.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. How about the duarbility of the product. Does it seem to stick well? This all started when I got the wise idea to polish my aluminum. It just hasn't come out as well I thought it would and now I am thinking I don't want to deal with maintaining it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Silver hammertone over non sanding primer. Scuff the aluminum with some 180 grit paper prior to painting. The paint is Rustolium, it comes in quarts or spray, the quart must be reduced with the proper reducer for use in a gun. The rattle can is the same paint, but is ready to spray. You will get a more even coat and hammertone effect if you use a gun vs a rattle can.The trick to it is to lay down a light coat, covering the primer. Let it set up for about 30 min, then go over it again with a heaver coat. The hammered effect will start to show when you apply the heavy coat.
The hammer tone effect doesn't show up well in the photo, but it's there. Another good thing about it, if you scratch it up, apply a little rattle can paint, and you can't see the repair. John

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have a little silver here and there, mostly the valve covers, and it seems to adhere well.
I also found it doesn't bake out like regular spray paint ... meaning no smell when heated.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good! Thanks for taking the time to post these guys. I think this will make life much easier for me. I went over to Ace and picked up the paint and primer at lunch. I got both the light and dark silver. Now I just need to decide which one.

Mike!

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Any suggestions on metal prep?

J Pearsons, you suggested a scuff with sandpaper and non-sanding primer, any specific brand recommendations there?

-Scott

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Not good detail but I used the Hammercoat Bronze because my paint choice (at that time anyway) was Pepper Gray Metallic (Eleanor paint)

This picture shows you how little of the metal that you can actually see in a finished donor EFI installation with power brakes and power steering - pretty much just the top of the driver's footbox (Wiring clean-up scheduled for this winter).

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I went over matching Rustoleum primer. I used the brown/red stuff. Under the primer, I hit the aluminum with a red Scotchbrite and then cleaned it with acetone. It went down well and covered fine. Durability so far has been good during the build but I have made an effort not to scratch it yet. In places it would have scratched, it's more durable than Rustoleum Professional Gloss Black.

Cheers,

Rick

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Another pic of the silver hammertone finish... Like others, I scuffed the aluminum with a wire brush on a drill, then used a self etching primer, then finished with 2-3 coats of the hammertone.

·
3,596 Posts
Love that hammer finish!It really makes a donor car alot easier to do when you are cleaning up stuff from the donor. especially engine bay brackets and stuff.
Good luck,
Sten

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Gotta say the silver looks pretty damn sharp. I'd been thinking darker colors, but it does make you think.

-Scott

·
Charter Member
2,135 Posts
Does anyone know how the hammertone finish comes out if you brush it on? Did anyone primer or por 15 the frame as a base coat or just the hammertone? Thanks.....

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I did clean up some with a brush while I was spraying from a can. It didn't look good.

Caution, The rest of this is conjecture:

I think that the hammered look comes from the aerosol effect of a spray tip. I'm guessing (really guessing)that there are different kinds of paint with different viscosities in the can that help give the hammered look. Brushing it might just give "hammered" brush strokes.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,317 Posts
I think Mike Everson did my pedal box that way. I didn't know what it was till now.

[ November 09, 2006, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Scalded Dog ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good info guys. I painted a piece of scrap alunimum last night with both the dark and the light silver. I thought I was going to like the dark but now seeing it I like the light silver. What I have also noticed about it is you can effect the amount of the hammer effect you get by how you lay the paint down. On my test piece, I noticed that where I put the paint on thicker, the hammer effect was much more. I guess he goal is to evenly apply it to obtain the desired amount of hammered look. Now I just got to finsh getting them drilled so I can get to painting them.

This will be the last change to my original plan for this car.... Yeah right.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
It actually can be brushed on, I've painted some odd things around the house - it comes by the quart.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts