Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put in an oil pressure switch to a dash warning light... I've looked at Summit, they have a 3 wire switch to shut down the motor... I'd like a single pole switch, goes to ground at ~10psi, something in that range..
Anyone found a source? did a search, saw them mentioned, but no sources..
thanks, ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used the one from Summitt. I think it shuts the engine down at 5 psi. With the switch, you won't need a light. The engine will just quit.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
91 ford explorer, $7.00, correct threads can't go wrong. See my sight there is a close up of one on pic #8.
Michael S.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I just found the box it is borg warner S367, oil pressure switch.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Just my 2, but personally I wouldn't want auto shut down for a street car. Murphy's law says you'll be crossing a busy intersection when it works :eek: Low oil pressure for a couple of seconds won't necessarily ruin an engine, but that 18 wheeler might....again, just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
If you want an OEM three terminal oil pressure shut off switch, get a AC Delco #G1809, GM#3986857. It's an oil pressure switch for a Chevy Vega. Some of the "clone" three terminal switches are prone to malfunction, but the GM switch is reliable.

John

·
1,569 Posts
I second Charlie's comments. Get a switch that operates at 15 psi and use it as a warning light only. Put it through a flasher if you think you won't see the light.

Low pressure does not always equal low flow. On a race car, we come off the track at 5 psi without any worries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts