Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to buy tires for 5055. I have been looking at BFG G force KD, Kumho V700, Sumitomo HTR Z, Goodyear F1 and Yokohama. I need 315/35/17 and 245/45/17 so this limits a lot of choices of other makes and models. Keep in mind I have a Big Block and only plan on driving 90% street and in the sun(no windshild wipers).

I would appreciate any feed back from your experiences.

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
I bought the Sumitomos that you're considering and am interested in what others think as well.

(I'm not on the road yet)

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,802 Posts
I guess it would depend on the money you want to spend. Both the F1 and KD's are great tires but very expensive. Between the Kuhmo and HTRZ, I like the HTRZ better. It performs within 5% or so of the F1's and KD's but cost a lot less.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Originally posted by Skiharder:
It's time to buy tires for 5055. I have been looking at BFG G force KD, Kumho V700, Sumitomo HTR Z, Goodyear F1 and Yokohama. I need 315/35/17 and 245/45/17 so this limits a lot of choices of other makes and models. Keep in mind I have a Big Block and only plan on driving 90% street and in the sun(no windshild wipers).

I would appreciate any feed back from your experiences.

Rick
I put Nitto NT 555R drag radials on the rear (315/35R17) and Nitto NT555 275/40ZR17 on the front (although 245/45/17 are available). The additional traction available with the sticky NT 555R is like night and day compared to the Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's I had all around before. The NT555's in the front live longer because of the stiffer sidewall and slightly harder rubber compound. They are usually recommended over the NT 555R's for the front. You have to want to spin the tires to do so now.

[ July 15, 2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Growler ]

·
15,282 Posts
I did the same thing as Growler, with 315s in the rear and 245s up front. Look into the Nitto 555 stuff. There's more info on my build site.

Stay away from Kumho 712. Crappy tire.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like my Yoko A032 R's. But they throw up a lot of trash cause they are sticky. Look at the current post about a SB Chevy in a FFR and you can see the tires on my car. They are the size you need.
Bob

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
I've had the T/A KD's, 555's and 712's on my 99 Saleen Mustang. The 555's and 712's are very similar in terms of dry grip. The KD's were much better, albeit a lot more money. I got about 20K miles out of the KD's, a lot better than the Pirelli P-Zero's they replaced...

·
Charter Member
1,004 Posts
Rick,

You get what you pay for. I haven't driven on them yet, but the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s have some seriously good reviews. Pretty much sold out wherever you look. My setup is the same as yours - big block and the same tire sizes.

PM me if you'd like the source where I was able to find them about a month ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts