Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to tear into my donor motor this weekend. I KNOW that it's going to need some work as the oil pressure was running really low ( less than 8psi @ idle when warm with 30w50 oil).

I've read the Tom Monroe book from cover to cover a few times. It's all good info, but all it covers is a basic rebuild. (Mr. Monroe, where's that next book you've mentioned writing?)

I'm looking for something that covers the high performance aspect of things to supplement it. Something that covers the various machine work you can have done and why you would choose to do it (like the effect of shot peening rods). Also something that covers component selection. (Like what kind of rings to use). Also something that explains the different methods of connecting pistons to rods (clip, spiral lock, press).

I just want to have a good solid understanding of what all I can do so that as I tear into it and find out what's bad, I have an idea of what my options are.

Anybody got any suggestions for books or websites?

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
"Ford Windsor Small-Block Performance", HP Books, Isaac Martin, 1999. ISBN 1-55788-323-8. This is probably the book you really want. It discusses (somewhat briefly) those subjects you are interested in.

Also, "High Performance Small Block Ford Engines", Peterson Publishing, 1999. ISBN 1-884089-37-2. This is a very interesting book, but not as technically good as the first one. It's really a collection of about 35 magazine articles from Hot Rod Magazine and 5.0 Mustang magazine. Very interesting reading with lots of specific information about combos that work.

There's also a popular book called, "Ford Performance" by Pat Ganahl. It's pretty old, 1979, and is very valuable for the vintage racing and Ford restoration crowd. But you probably won't find it usefull unless you want a history lesson.

·
4,494 Posts
You can buy a really complete, good, rebuild kit and have the head work done by local shop. However, when I went through this planning process, including some mild performance upgrades to the motor I figured out I would have above $1700 - $1900 into it. When you compare that and all your time and labor, cleaning, etc., to buying a $3,000 crate motor from Ford, the crate motors start to look like a good deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.