Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a comp windscreen and trying to decide whether to buy or make, and if buy, where to buy. Any input on who has a quality unit, and any close up pics?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
I'm in the process of making a version of the comp windscreen, but it's essentially a full width lexan screen cut down about 1/2 the size of the regular windscreen.

I'll see if I can take a photo later, but it will look something like this:

Mine is a little taller than this one though.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the looks of the full width comp screens, however, there is zero chance of me having a passenger at the speeds where I'll be using it. In fact, the tonneau cover requires passenger seat removal.

I'm basically trying to decide to buy or build, but can't find any useful information for the decision.

Regarding the FFR and Fast Freddie. Are they a thermoformed compound curve, or just a flat piece bent into the frame? Are the frames aluminum or stainless, bent sheet or extruded? I see the Cobra Restorers piece is thermoformed and frameless, so it may not fit my body contour and I want an exact fit.

It would take me about two days to build the thermoform fixture, form the polycarbonate, and form up an aluminum frame, so $199 for prefab isn't too bad if it's a nice piece.

Thanks.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
fast freddies is a flat piece formed to a curved set of mounts. My works great and looks good too.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
Windscreen .....

last race at WGI I broke my FFR version, I do have a spare FFR version to use as well as an oddball version ( fiberglass mounting area w/ a flat lexan winscreen, I grabbed it early on from Freddie ) ..... I have also e-mailed Freddie and he unfortunately is done making them, maybe if there were enough prebuys he would bring them back but it would have to be discussed ...... if I had my choice at this point I would definatly grab a Fast Freddie version not only did it look good & work good but w/ the replaceable lexan it certainly help w/ forward vision ( they get pretty messed up and require polishing before nearly every race if you wish to see ) ..... Mike if you happen to make an aluminum mount make two, I'll buy one :) ....

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
last race at WGI I broke my FFR version, I do have a spare FFR version to use as well as an oddball version ( fiberglass mounting area w/ a flat lexan winscreen, I grabbed it early on from Freddie ) ..... I have also e-mailed Freddie and he unfortunately is done making them, maybe if there were enough prebuys he would bring them back but it would have to be discussed ...... if I had my choice at this point I would definatly grab a Fast Freddie version not only did it look good & work good but w/ the replaceable lexan it certainly help w/ forward vision ( they get pretty messed up and require polishing before nearly every race if you wish to see ) ..... Mike if you happen to make an aluminum mount make two, I'll buy one :) ....
Can you post some pics? Why would you prefer aluminum to the fiberglass mount? Could you measure the angle of the windscreen at the front center and length/width information? Why can't you change the polcarbonate on the FFR unit?

One significant advantage of using flat polycarbonate without thermoforming is that you can use scratch resistant coating.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fast freddies is a flat piece formed to a curved set of mounts. My works great and looks good too.

Fast Freddie isn't making them any more. Do you have any close up pics? Can you get a measurement of the angle at front center? Can you get measurements of length/width.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question: You say you broke the FFR version. How/why did it break?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,238 Posts
Windscreen ....

FFR Version

this is a one piece formed item, you scratch it, nick it, get it covered in mud ( off's in the wet, stuff goes everywhere ) etc. and you kinda have to live with it, I have used 3 stage polish nearly every event to get some of the mess out but, never 100% ..... not a big fan of obstructed vision, even brought the height down so I could see over it and yet not have my head buffeted by air over 100 mph, gets real bad around 140 mph .....

how did mine break, front straight WGI 120mph +/- caught a something ??? and got a good size "star" crack, will still suffice as a spare in a pinch .....

Freddie's

he used a flat body mount w/ some standoff's, added to visability at the bottom edge ..... replaceable windscreen is ideal
just search the forum there are some really good pics, if not shoot me your e-mail I pulled them the other day

Fiberglass / Aluminum

the bottom mounts like this I just feel add a bit of a blind spot, esp. if you are trying to get lower in the car or are a bit short ( if you want to just cover shipping I can send you my fiberglass version to copy, just send it back when you are done -- could also toss in my FFR version to evaluate ) ... I think this may be more personal preference than anything as I have seen others drive w/ windscreens that one can hardly see thru and still be incredibly fast .....

Photo's

Will try to get some pics tonight and post them tomorrow ....

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the FFR unit can get a star crack, that tells me it is made from cheap materials. Not a good thing.

I hadn't thought of miminizing the lip for visibility. We'll come up with a plan when we talk.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
For the Challenge series we have to use the FFR version, it's $199, I have broken 2, one by someone grabbing it getting out of car and the other one was when I hit the wall on the drivers side and body flexed and cracked windscreen. The FFR version will star crack when you drill if you are not super careful

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the Challenge series we have to use the FFR version, it's $199, I have broken 2, one by someone grabbing it getting out of car and the other one was when I hit the wall on the drivers side and body flexed and cracked windscreen. The FFR version will star crack when you drill if you are not super careful
$199 for a windscreen made from cheap plexiglass is almost criminal. At that price it should be scratch resistant polycarbonate.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After looking at everything out there, I have come to the conclusion that they all suck, so I'm making my own. I'll start a new thread in the roadster forum showing it. It will be a one piece carbon base with a coanda effect scratch resistant polycarbonate windscreen. Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Are you going to make it so you can switch between a full size windshield and a comp windshield?

I'll be watching with interest.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts