Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm finally getting back to work on my overhaul/rebuild of my Mk 3.1 and I am trying to finish up the ABS install. I have the unit mounted and all the ABS sensors and hardlines installed and intial routing up to the module on the front passenger corner of the engine bay where the 3 inch tubes meet by the crossmember. I have 3 brake hardlines that run together between the ABS module along the crossmember over to the front left wheel and the master cylinder. I am looking for a nice clip to hold the 3 lines in place, but haven't found anything in my searching. The lines are 3/16 and I'm trying to keep them as close together as I can. The best thing I have found so far is a plastic clip on eBay that comes from Latvia.

Also, I need to cut and shorten the wheel speed sensor wires from both front wheels. The stock length wiring harness would require me to loop them and I really don't want to do that. Does anyone have a trick to strip the rubber protective "casing" without stripping the insulation off the wires? I've tried lots of different methods and had minimal success. I'm hoping someone out there has a trick that makes this a whole lot easier and repeatable. I'm replacing the stock connector with a nice WeatherPak style to ensure a good connection. Here's a photo of the cut wires and rubber protective cover with one of the wires stripped in the process...

Hand Wood Finger Cosmetics Cable

Thanks,
Shack

·
Junior Charter Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I did my ABS wires, I used an X-acto blade knife to carefully cut the rubber coating off the cable. Then stripped the two wire conductors with a wire stripper.
Thanks Greg - I had some success with doing it that way, but I was hoping someone found a creative way that was less likely to nick the insulation on the conductor wires.

·
Junior Charter Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, all I needed was a fresh razor blade and they were MUCH easier to trim...rookie mistake!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle frame
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Fuel tank
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood

Now it's on to finishing up the hard lines and dash wiring...

Reactions: Greg_M
1 - 3 of 3 Posts