Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be putting a vortech blower on my car with around 8-10 psi of boost. I will be using the stock short block with forged pistons. I know I must fly cut them.

I want to use Edelbrock heads and I am looking at either the Performer RPM or Victor JR heads. I would like to go with the 70cc Victor JR heads but I am afraid they may be to big for my application.

I know air velocity in the heads is very important in NA motors but how is it effected by a blower?

I just want a nice well balanced package.

I will most likely use a Holley intake and Vortech A-trim with the new SC impeller.

I have also heard of useing larger injectors and ditching the FMU if I do this what would be a good sized injector to go with?

Thank You

Cody

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
Cody,
I would take a look at the AFR 165's for the heads. These heads do not require that the pistons be fly cut. The 185's are nice but do require your pistons to be cut. If you are going to be using the A-trim, you are going to have a problem getting 8-10 psi out of the box since it only puts out 5psi. The S-Trim will give you 7 psi from the start and is expandle. I would suggest using at least 30# injectors with that much boost and having a chip burned for a proper fuel curve. I am using the S-Trim with the FMU and currently dont have a problem. However, as I increase horsepower, larger injectors and dyno time are in my future.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I would go with the Performer RPM's and 30# injectors and before you get on it have a chip burned to make up the extra fuel on boost and to cut away fuel at idle.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
The reason for edelbrock is the helicoils on all of the threads

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom- that is one of the main reasons that I want to go with Edelbrock heads. I have read only great things about their quality.

I am planning to use a different pully on the A-trim to get the boost up. From what I have read the A-trim can provide 8-10psi with out being over spun.

[ October 18, 2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Cody ]

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
If you definitely want the Edelbrocks, stay with the Performer RPM's - otherwise, I'd seriously consider the AFR 165's as noted above. You're right in thinking that the Victors will be too big. The only way I'd consider the Victors is if you are going to raise the rev limit well beyond the stock 6250 - at that point, I'd match them up with the Victor Jr intake as well.

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,918 Posts
Im partial to Dart Windsor sr heads. I made huge power with them and an Atrim, was running 10.40 in the 1/4 in my daily driver mustang convertible. Later swapped to an S trim and ran high 9s..Then to twin turbos and ran 8.90s and dynods 810hp/940ftlb at the wheels. Never once did i blow a head gasket, have to worry about them warping or get them resurfaced... Only downside is if your concerned about the extra weight.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I've got a set of TFS Twisted Wedge heads that I'll be running on my setup w/ the A-trim. I've got the smaller pulley too, but I'm not sure if I'll put it on. The TFS have a 2.02" intake, 1.6" exhaust, and DO NOT require fly cutting unless you're running a monster cam.

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wade,

Do your heads have helicoils? If you started over would you go with the same parts? What are your overall thoughts on your setup, things like power, driveability, mileage, reliability.

Could you give me a brief list of your components?

Thank You
Cody

·
6,546 Posts
NO brainer blower combo:

TFS Twisted Wedge heads
TFS Track Heat Intake
TFS Stage "1" Cam

No fly cutting. No mismatched components.

[ October 19, 2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Ozona ]

·
Registered
14 Posts
IMHO The heli coil issue is a bandaid for some poor casting quality (perosity) that has plagued some companys. The AFR and TFS heads have had no issuse here at the shop with pulling threads..not sure about other mfg but take it for what its worth.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Orange Crush had thread problems with his AFR165's. If you are careful you can use heads without the helicoils but once you need them it can be a pain. The Edelbrocks are good heads and I have used them on the last 3 motors I have done and have been happy with the quality.

·
Senior Charter Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have read several posts about people pulling the threads out on AFR heads on the corral, it could just be user error. I have also read that for a N/A 302 the AFR 165 heads and Holley intake will give you the most power. :D

I think I will be using the Performer RPM heads and Holley intake. I won't be buying my heads and intake for a few weeks so I still might change my mind. I am sure that most of the head manufactures make high qulaity products I just have not seen any complaints or problems with the Edelbrock stuff.

thanks
Cody

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Cody - I'm still building the engine that the TW heads are going on. The casting quality seems to be really good, but I can't directly comment on the fitment or the drivability. I sat on the fence for MONTHS switching on and off between the AFR185's and the TFS/TW. Finally went w/ the TFS because of the big valves, no flycutting, good flow, and most of all the price ($935). The money I saved payed for some nice Pro-Magnum chromoly rockers.

I'm also running the TFS Stage1 cam that Ozona suggests.

The edelbrocks are very nice, and I do like the helicoiled holes. However, I think if you use your noggen when installing, you won't have any stripped holes without them either. The guys on the corral that stripped the threads out of the 165's may have been using the old rusty hardware and a breaker bar too! ;) ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts