Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am not new to kit cars, but I am new to the idea of getting a Cobra. At first I was going to build one, but am not above the idea of buying a completed kit. I am looking for a sane road driver. Something well under 400hp and be able to drive on our public roads. I am not looking for a track car. If you see or hear of a local sale, please let me know.

Shane

·
Charter Member
1,775 Posts
where is "local"?

·
Administrator
7,013 Posts
where is "local"?
He's posting in the NorCal Section so I would assume NorCal.

Would you consider any Cali Car or are you looking for something in NorCal?

Are you familiar with SB100 and it's impact on your search?

:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
\

Are you familiar with SB100 and it's impact on your search?

:)
I am very aware of SB100 and dealing with the California DMV. I daily drove a Sterling through college. I still have the Sterling as you can never sell your first car love. You just cannot get it back. That car is also the only time I looked my wife straight in the eyes and lied. Not a little lie either. This was one of those "I cannot believe I am about to lie so big that even I cannot believe it" kind of lies. We were packing the car up with tools to drive from San Jose to Seattle and she asked, "will the car make it?". On a side note, Grants Pass is a beautiful place to spontaneously stop. Oh, they have have local VW junk yard too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking to spend $20-30k. I am looking for a cruiser for the weekends. I have no plans on racing so I do not need super high HP.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Something about that statement sounds vaguely familiar...... :):)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a Cobra. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. When I told my 11 year old daughter the good news, she let me know, "No matter what Cobra you get Daddy, mine will be faster." Somehow, I am totally good with this.

See you at one of the breakfast meet ups sometime.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Mine has 530 HP and I drive it with no problem on street driving exclusively. I think you are missing the whole point of a cobra by asking for it to be well under 400 HP. Mine is a small block 351 stroked to 408. It is the best of both worlds. Handles like a small block, but has the sound and torque of a big block. I have upgraded almost everything, so it is comfortable with IRS suspension, and handles well with the addition of adjustable heavy duty sway bars front and back, plus way bigger 4 wheel disc brakes for superior stopping power. It runs on pump gas, and gets pretty good mileage. I think you will be disappointed with a 302, as it is just not the same as a car with a stroked 351. Mine is for sale, but it is probably out of your price range. It cist me $59,000 to build, so it is not a $30K car. But if you want the best, you have to pay for it. And mine is also SB100, with a carbureted engine and a Tremec 5 speed. It has a long, long list of upgrades, and only has 2500 miles.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for thinking of me Mike. You car looks like a great one. I have had my Cobra for two weeks now and am loving it. It also helps that I live rural and have to drive a twisty road everyday. Good luck selling your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts