Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The body is at the paint shop. I have just put the Lowes bubble wrap in the foot boxes. I intend to carpet the foot boxes while the car is in paint. Any tips at all that would make the job easier and the finished product better woud be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the best adhesive? I used 3M Super 77 for the bubble wrap. Do the tops of the foot boxes get carpeted?

Thank You

Chet

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I think the 3M spray is the way to go. Why not do the whole cockpit with the body off? I started with the big piece across the back, then the hump, then everything else fell into place. Just don't do under the doors until the body is on.

Also, if you want to carpet the trunk, there's no better time than now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I used contact cement which seems to be holding well.

After trimming and fitting, I would apply adhesive to the half of the carpet piece (and aluminum) where the fit was less critical. Then, with the carpet folded over with the adhesive side up, I would position the more critical half of the carpet just how I wanted it. After laying down the adhesive coated portion, I would fold back the uncoated portion and apply adhesive. Finally I would lay down the second half.

This solves the problem of trying to position the carpet when it wants to stick as soon as it touches.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,021 Posts
Lay all the pieces out to get an idea of how they fit together first. Make the visible areas fit the best. Use a spray or a brush-on cement. Keep some lacquer thinner and a rag handy for glue cleanups and mishaps.

[ August 01, 2007, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Greg_M ]

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
NEVER.....EVER....use the double sided carpet tape as it was suggested to me when I was doing mine. It will not stick and come off in the heat of the summer.

my 2 in US currency

-K

·
Cobra Builder
373 Posts
It also helps to paint the aluminum with a flat black paint in any areas where you will have a carpet joint. I t just helps to hide any areas where the seam is not exactly perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
I second what Kouros said. I tried carpet tape in the trunk and it started letting go before I put the body on. I even cleaned the aluminum with acetone and pressed it down or clamped it overnight. Finally redid the whole mess with Super 77. Now it's right.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Another tip: A black Sharpie can tidy up white backing edges that show at seam joints or color the surface under seams that don't quite meet.

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
Personally I don't consider the FF carpet as anything other than a pattern. Go buy some good carpet, use the FF stuff as the pattern, cutting everything about 1/2" large on all sides and then fit it as you go. Put it down w/ super 77
Stan

·
Junior Charter Member
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow!! Thank you so much!! You guys are awsome! Great tips, and I feel like I'm on the right track.

Thank YOu

Chet

·
3,596 Posts
Didn't use a single piece of theFFR carpet at all!Shows ALL of the lint in the northern hemisphere! Got some nice gray stuff at Lowes. It folds easily around the corners,doesen't hold moisture, and it's MUCH cooler when the sun is out.Even made my own templates.Factory stuff wasn't close enough for me to work with.And yes, completely carpet the foot boxes as much as you can.
Good luck

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I used the same silicone to glue the carpet that I used on the body aluminum. It doesn't adhere instntly and you can reposition the carpet as necessary. Also it allows the carpet to be pulled off fairly easily. Do as much of the carpet that you can before you put the body on, except under the doors. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Ok my carpet turned out great if I may say so and I used the ffr stuff I did not have any problem getting the seams to fit .
My advise is not to stress about it just take your time and be patient and only spray part of the piece at a time

Sam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.