Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently added a Brandwood cable shifter and was concerned about the heat from cats. The shifter worked so good I didn’t want to take any chances with it overheating - like I read about on the forum. So I shielded it - but I still worried. Finally decided to remove cats.

Texas has a new registration category for assembled vehicles. They allow you to register as a replica - i.e. the make and year it most closely resembles. So I re-registered as a 1966 ford gt-40 replica. They sent some cool 'Custom Vehicle' plates. And now all I have to do for inspection is a safety inspection. So out with cats and in with supertrapps and WALA. More horsepower less heat and a great sound. Lower dB at idle and more exotic (whatever that means). And she shifts like butter!

Attachments

· Registered
249 Posts
Cats out of the...pipes

Hey, I think that is an awesome idea, I just punched mine out of the Kooks exhaust system that I have... (which was way harder than it looked). I like the fact that on the outside, they still look like "stock" turbo cats. I don't have to worry about emissions, but am having some serious heat issues including melted shift cables. I ceramic coated the headers and pipes, thinking of raping them as well. the stainless looked good, but i need to drop eng temps. Functionality wins over looks this time. I can't wait to hear it without the cats. It's cool to hear that someone else has done the same thing...

Jon #240

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shielded the cable too - but it was still sooooo hooottt to the touch I was concerned. btw Thanks Richard for the supertrapp idea. they are awesome:balloon: I have all the disc in and it is quiter than the cats alone were. I could take some disc out and make it quiter - or get custom tips and make it louder!

Jon - The cat replacement pipe in the pic was harder than it looks to get right. I ceramic coated it too. Much cooler all around. Dont think you would need to wrap it.

· Senior Charter Member
1,380 Posts
I am surprised you were able to get away with that. I tried registering as a Ford GT replica as well. In IL the state is pretty savvy about the process. They of course rejected the application. They see a lot of registrations and everyone in that dept knows exactly what is what.

I spoke with the State on the phone. They said if it's a replica then the Manufacturer Certificate will say specifically "replica" on it. They are correct. I phoned FFR who confirmed that the 33 Ford and the Cobras state specifically "replica" on the MCO.

Will be interesting to see what the experience of other owners might be. Each situation is going to be hit or miss.

· Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried two years ago with no luck also. I had to title as an assembled vehicle at that time. New to Texas this year they allowed the replica process. I read about in Kit Car Builder magazine. So I tried and it wasn't easy. I was told I was like the third person to try the new process. I had to send in pics of the GTM (ft qtr, rear qtr, and side views) and pics of a gt40 (same angles) for them to decide. Also special inspection paperwork by ASE mechanic. Two weeks later a new title (1966 Ford replica) and plates (custom vehicle) came. Then a safety inspection. The inspection was interesting since you have to input things in the computer and see if it will give you a sticker (without emission ck). It did!!! But my MCO does not say replica as you stated. And as you stated may be hit or miss.

I am surprised you were able to get away with that. I tried registering as a Ford GT replica as well. In IL the state is pretty savvy about the process. They of course rejected the application. They see a lot of registrations and everyone in that dept knows exactly what is what.

I spoke with the State on the phone. They said if it's a replica then the Manufacturer Certificate will say specifically "replica" on it. They are correct. I phoned FFR who confirmed that the 33 Ford and the Cobras state specifically "replica" on the MCO.

Will be interesting to see what the experience of other owners might be. Each situation is going to be hit or miss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.