Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been absent for most of the years that followed around 2008 - my build was completed towards the end of 2006 and after a couple of years, I simply dropped off soon after AT&T removed my original website. Just coincidental but once in a blue moon, I'd chime in over the past 11 years. For the most part, my FFR4883 was changed a few times from it's original build but the big makeover came in Jan. of 2019 and spent a full year going over my plans for essentially modifying the car as if it was sort of a resto-mod, but more like, have 13 years of driving it and semi-major modifications, I came to a couple of sold conclusions: one, I will never race this car and two, I want it to be more of a touring car. From the outset, it was never meant to be a garage queen nor a full blown racer. Never having owned a single sports car in my life, this was going to be the one back in 2003. Now with 13 years of driving and only 31,874 miles, I knew what I wanted. I had to keep into account, the body is going to remain bolted to the frame so anything I was going to do, had to take that into account.

EDIT apparently, I've been away far too long. Need to brush up on how to post a simple link on this site.!

Here's a summary of stuff replaced/removed/added and to be replaced later this year:
  • Replaced valve springs to 240 lb. springs, replacing the mis-matched 140lbs. for the CompCamsMagnum 284 . ( after 31K miles, 3 springs were at 75 lbs., around another 4(?) were hovering well below 120 and the rest all near 140 but the writing was on the wall. Oh, and one shattered metering plate in one of the lifters (I tore down all 16).
  • Replaced CompCams Magnum 284 with what I started with 13 years ago, the XE274HR; milder than the Magnum 284, yet CompCam Advisor indicated to go 240 or 270 lb. springs, which goes to show me just how mismatched my Vic.Jr. springs were!
  • Retired Demon 650 DP and decided to go EFI. Installed F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI 1.0. Took me 3 months from delivery to first start up. I was being VERY careful not to F-this up, thus a lot of questions and time to do it right.
  • After 10 years of holding onto it, the Dark Waters Custom drop boxes finally went in since I had to drop the tank for the EFI setup. It's about freakin' time!
  • Replaced old worn out and sun-faded FFR seats with Corbeau A4 seats, and Simpson straps with ProArmor padded straps - yeah, having padded straps is kinda nice!
  • Noted my small extinguisher was pointing at the 10-O'clock position of the gauge, well far off the "green" area at 12-O'Clock. Decide to get a large extinguisher ( 3" dia. bottle ) this time around. While I was able to re-use the exact same holes for the included mounting bracket, the bottle is longer so I need to pay attention now, getting into the car as it's right at the edge of the tunnel now!
  • With the EFI, I wanted to monitor fuel pressure as specified by FAST so I went with a digital/stepper setup by Autometer, setting min/max warnings. Accurate readings meant I can dial in the fuel pressure exactly to FAST specs.
  • Went with blue LED lighting on ALL gauges - a lot of them faded the red colored condoms and 1 burn out bulb. Needed 10 of the LEDS and they remind me of my old 98' VW Passat which I missed. :D
  • The original HB (harmonic balancer) was always hard to read the timing marks. I tried tape but a slow but constant coolant leak from the original pump, pretty much destroyed the tape. It was really hard to read so I used sharpies for awhile so when it came time to replace the pump during the teardown, I went with a FluidMaster HB and the thick-etched timing marks and numbers, in white, was a welcomed relief to my 61 year old eyes.
  • With the FAST system, it demands an O2 sensor. With that I focused on my exhaust system and noted on both my 13 year old side-pipes, the tabs for the hangers were probably a few thousand miles away from breaking off; there were rusted cracks on both. So given my new fuel delivery system, I went with the new FFR headers with O2 sensor bungs welded into place and the "ball" joint type intermediate section that would bolt to the new GAS-N polished SS pipes!!! Damn this setup looks pretty! Georgie is a nice guy to work with!
STILL TO DO LATER:
  • Replace the oil pan. Picked up a Stefi's unit but will wait until the end of the year to replace the old Canton racing pan. If anyone really want's the old oil pan by Nov./Dec. , be aware I had dented in early in it's life on a speed bump, when the ride height was a tad to low back in 2006. I found the "T" portion, made torquing the pad bolts a pain in the ass so going to a more conventional style. I'm going to guess nobody will want it, even for free (but must pay for shipping) so it's likely going to be thrown out.
  • After the driving season is done, I might decide on carpeting the rear. I'm undecided right now; I kind like having it all aluminum. We'll see.
  • Power Steering . I know that day will come sooner than later; my body has been slow to recover from all the work I did the past year so I'm likely going to do this in the next 2 years. More than likely, 2021 and likely just run it off the engine. Will add a proportioning valve to set it to my liking.
It was quite a year and I was in no rush to finish this early - I had no deadline. Just wanted to enjoy the "rebuild" like it was 2004-2006 again!

·
1,051 Posts
Welcome back! You need to post some pictures. I just bought a Mk II that I have known about since it was built around 2004, and I am in the process of updating it now.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
some pics of stuff I did over the past 12 months:
shattered_meterplate.jpg new_harmonic_balancer.jpg new_and_refurbished_parts.jpg 20200108_211832.jpg Corbeau_Seats.jpg 20190930_163209.jpg

·
Cross Menber
81 Posts
Nice. I love the way blue gauges look.
I ended up going with red on mine because the blue was too distracting at night.
Wish there was a good way to go multi color.

Look into electric power steering, that's the way I went and very happy with it. Just does not look "stock".

·
Charter Member
1,564 Posts
Awesome work! Considering replacing my old street performers. I like your choice. How did they fit? How did you mount them? Any pictures of them installed?
Thanks
Geoff

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Awesome work! Considering replacing my old street performers. I like your choice. How did they fit? How did you mount them? Any pictures of them installed?
Thanks
Geoff
I'm a little bit disappointed with one of the Cobreau seats. My driver side, will not maintain it's position I can adjust the recline, but as soon as I push back on it, or accelerate HARD, it moves all the way back. The passenger side doesn't exhibit this. I'm going to contact Corbeau to see if this is something I can fix or if there's a ways they can do a swap. I bought it around November, but it wasn't until the 3rd week of January when all of this came to light.

To mount these, they do sell elevated and slightly tilted back brackets to mount the seats to. The key to mounting the rear two bolts is to simply go with nutserts into the 2x2 cross member. Up front the right side of the drivers and left side of the passenger front mounts, you also nutsert the top of the large 4" round tubes. But the last of the 4 bolts on each side, ends up simply bolted to the aluminum. For my purposes (just street driving), I'm fine with that but for others, I would suggest figure out the final location, and then weld a piece of maybe 1/16" thick steel and cut it to shape so it can be welded in between the "X" members. That would give it a bit more solid material to bolt that onto.

·
Senior Charter Member
837 Posts
Pics of the seats installed Would be great! Thanks!

·
Charter Member
1,564 Posts
Thanks fo the pic and explanation on how you mounted it. How high does the seat sit in the car in relation to the roll bars? Any clearance issues of the shoulder piece where it tucks inside the outer edge of the cockpit/door?

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
Wow! That’s quite a project. Looks great!

·
Premium Member
5,791 Posts
Sounds like fun! I remember reading your build page back in the day. You inspired me to try I-Squared electronics. Continues to work like a charm for me. Your upgrades keep the build feel alive, I like it!!

Sean

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome back—great work! Your gauges look awesome—remind me of a VW I had years ago, too. It’ll be interesting to see How you like power steering after driving with manual for so long. I’ve been basically inactive here for years, other than checking in from time to time. I’m slowly getting used to this new format—changing to the dark background helped me. Plus, almost all of the members here have remained top-notch, especially compared to some of the knuckleheads over on Facebook. Anyway, after years of stopping and starting due to life’s challenges and other priorities, I’m finally approaching the finish line. Still have some details left, bugs to work out and the inspection/title process. Back when I started on my early Mk4, my youngest daughter couldn’t have seen over the dash, and now...

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fo the pic and explanation on how you mounted it. How high does the seat sit in the car in relation to the roll bars? Any clearance issues of the shoulder piece where it tucks inside the outer edge of the cockpit/door?
The bracket elevates the seat about 1" inch more than the old sport seats. I'm a bit short thankfully so I'm still just below the window frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts