Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So I got an el cheapo brake upgrade from Daves Mustang Parts. Of course this was before I knew anything about the backspace problems. I now have the 5 lug axles that are 1.25" longer than stock. Is it possible to buy the Halibrand wheels that will fit these axles? What should the backspace be? Or should I buy new axles. The kit seems to have the same calipers that are on my 1986 SVO. Any suggestions on wheel size? Any help would be great.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Send it all back or part it out. NO way will a halibrand wheel look good with 1.25 inches per side more back spacing. This is not the first time some joker pawned off a bad brake kit to someone. This set up is fine for a street rod without fenders but is definitely not the right answer for the FFR. Feel free to contact us if you need any other help. Cheers Richard.

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I guess so. But of course I just had the rotors done and the calipers rebuilt. That won't be a big issue if they are the same as my SVO calipers. If I have to start from scratch for the rears what is the best option and still use my donor 8.8? I am in Massachusetts and the pickings are slim for ranger axles etc....

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Cory,

Been there done that.. Summit catalog the FMS 5 lug drum brake kit ($184) has the correct axles then go to Richard Oben for the new caliper brackets if your using disks... problem solved and I sold My drums on e-bay for $60 bucks...

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
So the FMS axles, brackets from Oben, calipers from????, and rotors from????, and you've got rear discs? Sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Sorry Steve/Cory,

I am assuming you have the rear disks..

Yes if you can still find a M2300 Kit and replace the axles with the ones mentioned above your all set. The kits are on indefinite backorder from my last search. I bought mine over a year ago and had to find a Motorsport dealer that had one in stock.

Another option is call Mike Forte.. He has other parts to replace the Ford Motorsports items. I went with the kit for the front end as well as rears since I went non-donor..

Happy Trails

jd

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I have SVO calipers and the vented rear discs from an SVO. (As I have an SVO) They all look very similiar. Even the dust shield looks the same. Just the axles were 1.25" longer than the ones I took out of the donor differential housing. So does everyone still think if I got the stock length axles and the brackets from North Cobra I would be still in the game? I was just thinking I could do something with backspacing and offsets to use these 1.25 longer axles. I guess not though by the sounds of it?

·
Registered
764 Posts
hey cory, i have a question, what rearend do you have? is it a fox, sn95, lincoln or something else? fox and sn95 you can make work, possibly even thunderbird. if its the lincoln, i can tell you from first hand experience, off it fast and bite the bullitt. otherwise north cobras, richard oben, can set you up with what you need.vince

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vince, I am starting to sound like Travolta doing the sweathog thing. I'm soooo confuuuused.....
I have the Donor 8.8 dif. I bought what I thought was a good deal. Yeah right. There is nothing with all this stuff to tell you what it all came out of. But once again the calipers look like the ones on my SVO. My problem is the axels are 1.25" longer than the 4 lug ones that came out of the donor. The discs are vented and heavy just like the ones on my SVO. The brackets however do not look the same. They look pressed with two little ears with 1/4" holes in them coming out either side. This kit is supposed to work but I don't see how it keeps the original track width. Unless I can find whells witht the proper backspacing. I guess this was my major question. Can I find a wheel dealer (Hmmm) that can help me?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Cory, if you do manage to find 1-piece wheels with the 7 plus inches of backspace you need, they are sure to look pretty goofy. Better to bite the bullet now and get the right caliper brackets and axles. If you try to make what you have work (kinda like trying to put a shine on a sneaker), you may not like the results. Axles now are better than axles and more wheels later.

Happy motoring

BTW, between Richard Oben and Mike Forte, you can get all you need to do the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.