Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I am debating going with Lokar ebrake handle instead of the Factory Five one. Is this the right model I need to still do the transmission tunnel mount (for period correctness): Lokar EHB-7011 Lokar Emergency Hand Brakes | Summit Racing

I've also seen people do electric brakes. Here's an option: E-Stopp Standard Kit | estopp. Is there a way to turn the annoying sound off? I am considering this as an alternative, but it worries me what happens if I lose the key or the battery dies. I know this isn’t period correct but if I violate that then I might as well go all the way :).

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Looks correct, but I bought my kit years ago through Richard Oben at North Race Cars. If you go this route, you will want to do what is called a leverage mod. It gives you extra leverage when setting the parking brake. Even with the leverage mod, I could not pull the parking brake as tight as I would have liked, the hill holding capability was marginal IMO..
In my current build, not Factory Five, I am using the Wilwood Electronic Parking Brake. I did not want cables or a parking brake lever of any kind. Expensive, but not that much more than the E-Stopp. Also there is considerable bulk with the E-Stopp you have to find a home for somewhere. Not a lot of excess room on the MK4, so you might want to look for pics of someone's installation that has used it.
I have a few pics of the Lokar installation with the leverage mod. They should have been posted here, but finding them from 8 years ago might be a challenge. If you want the pics, send me a PM with your email address and I can send them to you.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I haven’t installed it yet, but I have the E-Stopp. I plan on mounting it under the upper trunk area, just above the rear end. I’ve seen two other people install it in that same area, and two others install it in the trans tunnel.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Has anyone gone with the electric parking brake? How do you like it?

I have stuck with the manual for two reasons. First, I just like the look. The other reason is that with cars that sit around, dead batteries happen. I like to be able to move a car with our hooking up a jumper.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you dont end up using the factory five e brake. I would like to buy it from you.
jason, still haven't found your button? did you try removing the seat and looking under?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You essentially press on the brakes, then close the valve, which maintains the hydraulic pressure.
Uh, actually I need mechanical brakes for registration. Electronic brakes work because they pull the cable. I need to check if this qualifies.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was responding to your question about how the Breeze ball valve works. That is a 100% mechanical solution which has satisfied most state vehicle laws. Unless something has changed in your state recently this should pass inspection.

As an aside, the mechanical emergency brake laws some states have are antiquated. Manufacturers don’t implement emergency brakes anymore, and implement what they identify as a parking brake. Because of this, they get around having to meet stricter safety standards Because it is no longer defined as a safety device. Many of today’s modern cars have implement an electric parking brake, which begs the question: how are those cars registered in states with mechanical emergency brake laws?

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
As Chris states, check your laws. Some states don't allow the hydraulic parking brake, purportedly because the hydraulic pressure can bleed off over time. I don't have any idea what's allowed in Canada, but they seem to be more stringent than here in Virginia.

John

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Uh, actually I need mechanical brakes for registration. Electronic brakes work because they pull the cable. I need to check if this qualifies.
Not all electronic parking brakes use cables. The E-Stopp does as it simply replaces the brake lever handle. At least one guy has used a Wilwood electronic parking brake as part of his build. Apparently there is a complete kit from Wilwood that includes the rear brakes plus the electronic parking brake. In the case of the Wilwood electronic parking brake, it is electrically actuated, no cables at all.
I adapted the Wilwood electronic parking brake to my current project. I have a Wilwood rear brake kit for the Ford 9' rear axle with Big Ford flanges. I was able to make a spacer and mounting bracket to mount the electronic parking brake to the existing mounting plate. Not simple but I was able to do it with the help of a friend with a mill.
The biggest difference, to me, between a handle pulled emergency parking brake and a electronic parking brake is that you can modulate a emergency parking brake by how hard you pull on the handle. This is something you cannot do with a electronic parking brake, pretty much a on/off switch.

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
The point is: the electronic brake is still mechanical, separate from the hydraulics. It would still work in the event of a failed brake line or MC.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
My point is that with a electronic parking brake like the E-Stopp or Wilwoods offering, it is an on/off switch. You cannot control how much pressure will be applied to the caliper. So using a electronic parking brake while moving will simply lockup the rear brakes. Maybe better than no brakes at all, but not controllable. Only a "emergency brake" setup where you can pull the emergency brake handle as much as needed to slow the car without locking the brakes will help you slow your car controllably should your primary brake system fail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts