Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these in Australia and like them a lot. Price and shipping is reasonable. Does anyone know if they can be purchased here locally in the States?

This company has a typical lucas type light engraved.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
They give your dash kind of a "modern" car look.is that something your aiming for?

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks, DARKPT and CRZN for the links. Do you or has anyone else used these? Some pictures make them look like the etching is not always centered?

They give your dash kind of a "modern" car look.is that something your aiming for?
I have the autometer ultra lites so a little more modern than the true recreations. I don't want labeled lights or switches near lights. Wasn't sure if just random lights would be as helpful. The engine is modernish though its 10 years old now. :001_smile:

Lynn, saw those as well, not as many options but liked the black ring around the light.

Was thinking of getting the lense and wire in a LED and my brother's buddy laser etch the lens and fill with white paint.

Was thinking of the following lights:
Left/right directional
High beam
Brake fluid light (NJ required)
Engine light – computer idiot light for codes

The oil and battery light might be overkill since I have gauges for them
The Ebrake and would need to work in the switch from the stock ebrake to show its on. also overkill

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

Chris.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yes - the "Dennis Kirk" selection is somewhat more limited than some of the other sites folks have shared with you.

I do how-some-ever like the "retainer clip" that's included with those lights - which I think would help keep the lights from flopping around in the dash holes IF you happen to have made the holes a wee bit too large ... which I did :(.

I've tried using a bit of silicone on body of my FFR supplied lights on the back side of the dash to help keep them from being loose with only marginal success.

I may yet end up changing to the Dennis Kirk lights before I do the final dash install.

Please keep us posted on what you finally decide on for indicator lights.

Lynn

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
848 Posts
just the retainers?
Cool!

According to the link they're currently out of stock, but there was a way for me to have them email me when they become available again. So that's done.

Now I just need to mic the OD of the FFR supplied lights to see if the clips will work size-wise compared to the size of the Dennis Kirk ("Drag Specialties" actually I think) indicator lights.

Alternately, I can probably use the concept to make a few clips of my own that would do the same job ...

Many thanks!!!

Lynn

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Lynn, try using a thick O-ring or even a small wire grommet on the back of the light housing. I did that for my dash indicators and they haven't moved in four years.

HTH...
Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
True, They Are Off

Thanks, DARKPT and CRZN for the links. Do you or has anyone else used these? Some pictures make them look like the etching is not always centered?.....
I did notice that but didn't find any othere lights that had the logos I wanted that were the size I wanted so I am living with the slight imperfection, where they do occur.

I do have two issues with the lights.

1- The recepticle that the bulb goes into is made of two parts crimped together. You insert the bulb in the recepticle and then plug that into the light housing. The issue I had was that the two pieces separated on one of my lights. I was able to re-assemble it and crimp it back together with Vise-Grips. I would have expecetd better quality control, or a better engineered connection. I haven't driven the car so I don't know if there will be any issues with normal road vibrations, but no problems with running the engine and loading the car on a trailer.

2- Some of the logos are hardly visible when the light goes on behind them. That isn't a problem since you know what light is what but if one lights while driving it might take a minute or two to remember what it is. That can only be a problem in an extreme emergency, like low oil pressure, but that is what the lights are there for in the first place. I'll have to live with them for a while to see if it really is an issue, after I get my car on the road. I'd thought of external tags, but that is what the logo lenses are supposed to eliminate.

Regards, Rick.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
If you're really concerned about warning lights I suggest directly in the gauge. Auto Meter and others offer gauges where an LED in the face of the gauge will light when high or low point (that you set) is reached. Some gauges the illumination color will change and/or flash. Much better than a separate light or two IMHO.

I've only two indicators on my dash (turn and highbeam not withstanding). One is amber for check engine light and the other is red for my parking brake "on".

HTH...
Mark

·
Blues n Brews
506 Posts
Another fix for loose indicator lights in the dash is to use some duct seal around the back of the light and dash. Push it fully around the light and smooth it onto the back of the dash. ( For those who don't know what duct seal is, its a putty used mostly for sealing gaps around conduits and ducts in the electrical and hvac industries. Its available at Lowes and Home Depot usually in the electrical department ). I've used it and it seems to hold up well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Lynn, try using a thick O-ring or even a small wire grommet on the back of the light housing. I did that for my dash indicators and they haven't moved in four years.

HTH...
Mark
Grommets worked perfectly!

Thanks Mark for the suggestion ....

Lynn

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
it is these type of posts that I love about this forum. I had no idea that these type of things were available. I am in the process of planning my new dash...

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Grommets worked perfectly!

Thanks Mark for the suggestion ....

Lynn
I wish I would have seen this during my build... I used hot glue and don't really like the way it turned out. They are not really that tight. I will redo it the next time my dash is off.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Been thinking of finding the logos on line then printing on clear sticker labels and pasting on the face of my ffr lights... Really only need them for safety.

Unless someone already has those downloaded?

Let's see, I need:
Turn x2 (incl hazards)
Charge (Batt)
E-brake
HiBeams
Check Engine

Plus maybe Fog lights

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
...and those.
then put them to size on a word doc for printing... I'll test those as cutouts and I'm pretty sure I still have some sticky transparent paper... once I have the right sizes I'll attach the word doc. Because the are shrunk much smaller than the origianls, the image comes out real crisp... just what I need

Logo Text Font Line Trademark

Logo Line Icon Symbol Emblem

Line Clip art Logo Black-and-white Graphics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.