Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two car garage 22x22. I also have a number of pieces of equipment (read toys) which I can't leave outside. I have a 4 wheeler; two dirt bikes; snowblower (California guys hold the comments); pressure washer; generator and a freezer that all live in the garage. I was thinking about building a temporary structure to house the toys, I mean equipment, but the cost is gonna be relatively high for this.

How much space am I going to need? I could do the donor first and store the kit outside under a tarp (Keeping the expensive boxes inside). Is humidity and cold going to hurt the fiberglass shell? I would think I'll have the frame inside before we get any real amount of cold; but the shell will likely be there for some of the cold.

Is a single bay (21'x13) going to be enough or should I just give up and throw the money for the storage shelter?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Store the boxes in the attic or basement, body outside. 21'x13' bay will be plenty to build the car in, if you can keep the other toys out of that area.

·
Ford Junkie
1,670 Posts
My garage is 24wx20d. Wifes car is in one bay, the build is in the other one. Sounds like you can use half the garage for all the misc stuff and have plenty of room.

I put up some heavy duty steel wire type shelves (you can see them in the background) for donor parts and the boxes from FFR. More are stacked on top of a fridge that is out of frame on the left side. I mounted the shelves way up high so the engine hoist would still roll under the lowest shelf.

No problem leaving the body outside. People have left them outside for years I think. I built a rollaround buck incase the winds were forecasted to be high.

·
7,134 Posts
Built a loft in my Barn for all the parts, 8x12 and the Body was winched into the roof of the garage

But yes you can store it outside too. Just make sure it is supported correctly, as it will take the shape it is left at.

One member here built his FFR in the delivery crate- I kid you not.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
I talked with one of the guys at FFR (I can't remember who now--maybe Joe?) when I was in the middle of my order. His body sat outside (in MA) for a couple of winters uncovered. He said his body guy was really really pleased with how the body had "hardened" up and cured.

"Joe" encouraged me to go ahead and leave it out in the weather to let it cure. He also encouraged running the gelcoat body on the frame for a while to let it set in.

I plan to do both!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I, too, have a medium-sized 2 car garage. The donor Mustang is in one bay, pushed all the way to the wall and all the way forward, almost touching the garage door.
I built the body buck to stand up with 5' of under clearance, and the body buck/body is stored along the back wall, above the rear of the donor.
The aluminum sheets, boxes, wheels/tires, tool chest, etc., are all underneath the body buck along the rear wall.
The frame is in the other bay with a good 3-4 feet of clearance all around.
If a hurricane came my way, I could move the frame to the side and get my daily driver convertible into the garage. I'm not so good at time management, but space management is a different thing.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I built mine in a one car garage, no problems at all. I basically kept my body on a body buck outside, covered with a car cover and worked on the frame in the garage. Kept all the boxes inside a spare bedroom.

The key for me was having everything needed for Rolling Chassis stage on hand and 100% ready to bolt on the frame before the car got here. That way I could get to roller stage as quick as possible and be able to roll it in and out if I wanted to use the whole garage to work on the engine, trans, etc...

Good Luck!
-Kris

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
I also have a two car garage (and my wife wanted to keep her side of it).

I did the donor first and had it complete and the carcass removed by the time the kit arrived. Then I built a roll around body buck to store the body over the rest of the build. All the boxes were kept in the den or in the attic until needed. So far it has worked out really well just using the one side of the garage. Just roll the body out to work on the chassis with plenty of room.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Must resist . . . must resist . . . I can't hold it much longer . . . errrrghhh . . . oh screw it!

<font size="+2">"What's a snow blower?"</font>

I feel so much better

I bought a Costco shed to stuff my quad, motorcycle, and garden tools in while I've been building.

·
3,217 Posts
Built mine in a 1 car garage that measures 18x12. Bought a small shed to move all of my other 'toys' (including my snowblower) into. Stored the body outside on the buck, uncovered through 15 months of New England weather. Aside from an accumulation of bird droppings and pine tree sap, it seems to be OK. I built a rotisserie out of a pair of very tall sawhorses that allowed me to turn the frame while I did the POR-15, chassis paint and some mods with a welder. I never really felt like I was cramped in any way, with the possible exception of having to keep my beer in a cooler instead of a fridge.

·
Banned
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Feddersen:

<font size="+2">"What's a snow blower?"</font>

I feel so much better

That's just plain mean.
I bought mine last year and it had drift cutters turned down against the side. I looked at them and laughed thinking "Yeah right. We could never have snow deep enough to need those." In February we had a snowstorm that produced drifts about 6 feet deep!!

Here. Just for you

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
I went the double-decker body buck route too. Castered and just high enough to sit over Rilla's AH Sprite but low enough to roll outside on nice hot days to help bake-cure the glass.
If you double-deck you'll really want the body above something other than the chassis for those days you'll want to work on it when you can't roll the buck outside.

Hey, that snow blower would make some killer margaritas wouldn't it? :D

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
2,203 Posts
Instead of spending the money on a shed you might think about buying a lift for your garage. That way when you are done you can park all of your equipment inside!

Who's Snow and what are you going to do to him with that machine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.