Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see if we can get a list of options for coilovers for rear. plus the part number if you have it. I Know pro shocks are an option as well as Koni but that's very open-ended.
Will just the ones for the mustang fit?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,512 Posts
QA-1 SA and DA. DA's on my MKII.

The true answer is that there are many Coil-Over shocks available, you have to do the research to determine body diameter, compressed and extended lengths, types and specs of the ends, compression and rebound, whether pre-set or adjustable. There are many choices out there, and you don't have to be locked in to what has been done. You also can change spring rates. I have re-sprung my car many times, now after change #5, very happy with my car's ride. I have moved the top mount on my MKII front with better results than the original location.

Also, don't just change one end of the car. It will unbalance it even more. Do all four corners, make it a system.

It's nice to compile a FFF list, but better to do the research and know why you are choosing a particular shock and spring package.

Just my comments from experience.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
Unfortunately Breeze has stopped selling the QA1s. He had some well designed pieces that worked nicely for the eye on the end of the shaft. I 'think' you could get the basic shocks from QA1 and they would still work. You might need to experiment w/ different ends though. A call to Mark at Breeze would be a good idea. These are the ones I had on my MkII but I bought them through Breeze.
Custom Mount Coil-Over Shocks | QA1

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
RJ after I posted above I had some questions. Easier to just do another post vs editing. What shocks are on your car now? Way, way back an FFR could be built w/ the stock type Mustang springs and shocks. So any shock listed for the back of a Mustang of certain years would work. Once coil overs came into use there were some differences in how they are mounted. Most all are mounted w/ 1/2inch spherical bearings like the QA1s I listed above. So you may also need some different brackets to mount coilovers vs stock type shocks. What rear suspension is in your car now? Note that the bottom of most of our posts there is a section listing specs etc of our cars. It would be very helpful if you would do that too. Go to the top right of this page and click on whatever is showing for you just to the left of the three dots (I have a miniature of my avatar pic). Click 'My Profile' and then click 'About' and scroll down to 'Signature' to ad details.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,512 Posts
I also updated my answer, and Craig's new comments are correct.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RJ after I posted above I had some questions. Easier to just do another post vs editing. What shocks are on your car now? Way, way back an FFR could be built w/ the stock type Mustang springs and shocks. So any shock listed for the back of a Mustang of certain years would work. Once coil overs came into use there were some differences in how they are mounted. Most all are mounted w/ 1/2inch spherical bearings like the QA1s I listed above. So you may also need some different brackets to mount coilovers vs stock type shocks. What rear suspension is in your car now? Note that the bottom of most of our posts there is a section listing specs etc of our cars. It would be very helpful if you would do that too. Go to the top right of this page and click on whatever is showing for you just to the left of the three dots (I have a miniature of my avatar pic). Click 'My Profile' and then click 'About' and scroll down to 'Signature' to ad details.
I do not have any rear shocks yet I am still building I just got my kit in mid October. But I would like to know what options I have outside of FFR coilsovers. I plan on only using coilovers. (A lesson I learned building my Datsun 280z)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QA-1 SA and DA. DA's on my MKII.

The true answer is that there are many Coil-Over shocks available, you have to do the research to determine body diameter, compressed and extended lengths, types and specs of the ends, compression and rebound, whether pre-set or adjustable. There are many choices out there, and you don't have to be locked in to what has been done. You also can change spring rates. I have re-sprung my car many times, now after change #5, very happy with my car's ride. I have moved the top mount on my MKII front with better results than the original location.

Also, don't just change one end of the car. It will unbalance it even more. Do all four corners, make it a system.

It's nice to compile a FFF list, but better to do the research and know why you are choosing a particular shock and spring package.

Just my comments from experience.
Thank you very much. Part of the question is getting a baseline from what works currently. Then we can use that to do research. (A little lazy) but I would like to know what works 100% I plan on only running coilovers around all 4 corners

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,512 Posts
Houston - As noted before, what kind of rear suspension? 3 link or 4 bar? Different shock mounting points, and shock lengths. Craig asked the right questions. Answer them, and you can then get better answers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Houston - As noted before, what kind of rear suspension? 3 link or 4 bar? Different shock mounting points, and shock lengths. Craig asked the right questions. Answer them, and you can then get better answers.
thanks I skipped that part I currently have the 4 link but am strongly thinking of getting the 3 link or 5 link from Gordon. This is going to be a grocery and weekend car. But want to build it right (regret not getting the irs now)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Craig thank you very much I currently have the 4 link but might convert to the 3 link possibly the 5 link from Gordon. Car currently doesn’t have anything as my Koni are POL so now is the time to make changes. This is just a weekend ride $1000 for the 3 link or $1600 for the 5 link. Don’t mind the few hundred difference but might be overkill for weekend car. It will have a coyote with a tko (haven’t landed on the 500 or 600

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately Breeze has stopped selling the QA1s. He had some well designed pieces that worked nicely for the eye on the end of the shaft. I 'think' you could get the basic shocks from QA1 and they would still work. You might need to experiment w/ different ends though. A call to Mark at Breeze would be a good idea. These are the ones I had on my MkII but I bought them through Breeze.
Custom Mount Coil-Over Shocks | QA1
What compressed and extended length is common for the mk4?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,512 Posts
I like the 3-link myself. In my car since the word go.

Once you settle on the suspension, then you'll be able to get the correct part numbers.

Remember, ride quality is totally dependent on spring rate and shocks. I'm real happy with my current set-up:
Front - 500lb springs, QA-1 DA shocks. Street use low numbers to be soft, track they are different.
Rear - 3-Link, 300 Lb Springs. Same with the QA-1 DA shocks.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
Sorry, I just realized that the link I posted above did not include the specs. Here they are.
Proma Star Double Adjustable
SKU: DD501
Adjustability : Double Adjustable
Mounting : Bearing
Compressed / Extended Height : 11.625 in. / 16.875 in.
Note that there are several different length rod ends available for the shaft so overall length can be fiddled with if needed. They have a 9/16 thread but the ball has a 1/2" hole. I have gotten them from ProShock.
PRO Shocks 2021 Catalog by AFCO Performance Group - Issuu
As you scroll through this catalog you will see that they also have shocks that will work for you. My only experience w/ them is w/ the non-adjustable shocks originally supplied by FFR for MkIIs.

·
Charter Member
1,107 Posts
Craig if you could also post the part numbers for the front QA1-DA shocks for use with new FFR tubular LCA, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
Robert sorry to say I don't have that info any more.

·
Charter Member
1,107 Posts
Thanks for responding, hopefully someone else has that info. Maybe Mark has it in his records.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I just realized that the link I posted above did not include the specs. Here they are.
Proma Star Double Adjustable
SKU: DD501
Adjustability : Double Adjustable
Mounting : Bearing
Compressed / Extended Height : 11.625 in. / 16.875 in.
Note that there are several different length rod ends available for the shaft so overall length can be fiddled with if needed. They have a 9/16 thread but the ball has a 1/2" hole. I have gotten them from ProShock.
PRO Shocks 2021 Catalog by AFCO Performance Group - Issuu
As you scroll through this catalog you will see that they also have shocks that will work for you. My only experience w/ them is w/ the non-adjustable shocks originally supplied by FFR for MkIIs.
Hey I bought the DS501 I do not plan on tracking the car so single is good. What length of spring sis you go for? I’m gonna do 300lbs rear and 500 front. But am looking at maybe 10 inch springs.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,063 Posts
I use 10s on solid axle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts