Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Ford engine build. I have done a lot of Toyota engines over the years so I know the basics of engine building, but....................... It looks you have to get the lifters into the block before the cyl head. I can't get the front and rear lifters in to their bores. It looks like the cyl head does not have enough clearance height wise. So, do I have to take the head off and start over again? It is a '90 stock 5.0

· Registered
139 Posts
Hey Marty,

Yeah...with the roller lifter, you will need to get the head out of the way to get the lifter in it's bore. If you just installed the head with a new head gasket, you should be alright to R&R and keep the old gasket.

Good luck. It's a short delay.

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
What type of lifters do you have? Stock OE Ford lifters can be installed in all 16 holes with the heads on.

Mark

· Registered
8 Posts
Accutually you can put in no roller lifters in with the head on but roller lifters require that the head be off. Here is another trick I allways did when I have my engine shop. Take the head gasket and spray it with spray copper you can find it at local parts store. Any questions feel free to PM me and I willhelp as much as I can

· Junior Charter Member
2,472 Posts
All of my roller lifters went in with my heads on. '89 5.0 with stock heads. I had to wiggle the back ones until I got them in. If they come out, they will go back in.

· Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are stock Ford Racing roller lifters. It looks like the headgasket side of the head is not relieved enough to get the lifter in and rotated vertically to then drop into the bore. It's been and interesting build with a lot of 2 steps forward and 1 back. I've never had to use an 18mm socket before this engine.

· Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
either way

Factory FORD roller lifters can be installed with the heads on . . . unless you've changed the heads to an aftermarket brand or switched to an aftermarket lifter you should be good-to-go with your "stock" heads on. That's always been my experience . . .

HTH

Doc :beerchug:

· Tool Collector
6,594 Posts
In the process right now of building a small block roller Ford. Aftermarket aluminum heads with MLS head gaskets, the Ford hydraulic roller lifters go in with the heads on no problem. The far end ones need to be finessed a bit but still go in.

· Charter Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spent an hour trying to finagle the lifters into the bores. Just wasn't going to happen. I pulled the heads of to stop the frustration. Learn something new every day. Tomorrow I'll get some new headgaskets. I'm not a fan of FEL-PRO gaskets. Any suggestions? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.