Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a lifter tick for a good while, it's gotten alot worse, so I guess I've got to address the problem. I put this motor together six years ago and I can't remember if I'll have to pull the heads or not? What say you guys? 302 with brand new ford lifters when I put them in. I thought I soaked them and pumped enough back then and the one that ticks only started acting up just over a year ago ( I don't drive it a whole lot ) p s, I tried a bottle of the Lucas additive with the last oil change, but it did'nt help.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Heads

You don't need to pull the heads to replace the lifters, just the intake. Remove the valve covers and loosen the rockers enough to slip them out of the way of the push rods and then replace your lifters as needed.

One last ditch effort . . . get a bottle of "Marvel Mystery Oil" and try that, the Lucas stuff doesn't work.

Doc :beerchug:

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
get a bottle of "Marvel Mystery Oil"
That sounds like a joke, and the can looks like something from the 20s. That stuff has been around forever.

If anything will work, that will be it. I used it on my first car, a 74 Chevy Vega notchback. If that car won't make you a Ford man for life, nothing will.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
You might try this: If you are sure which lifter is ticking remove the valve cover and tighten it a bit 1/4 turn. Replace the valve cover and restart the motor, if the tick is not as loud add another 1/4 turn ( be careful you can hold the valve open). If the sound is gone you have found your problem. It is also possible that a lobe on your cam has worn to the point that the lifter makes this sound, hope that is not your problem. If the motor pulls strong that is not likely. The other conclusion is that you have a collapsed lifter and if you have the intake off to change it you might as well change all of them.
HTH
CB

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If it is a roller cam 302, you may very well have to remove the heads to get the roller lifters out.

But how sure are you it is a lifter and not a header leak or a rocker that is out of adjustment? I'd start with the easy things first.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
If it is a roller cam 302, you may very well have to remove the heads to get the roller lifters out.

But how sure are you it is a lifter and not a header leak or a rocker that is out of adjustment? I'd start with the easy things first.
Agree w/ the above....header leaks are especially common. :beer:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have already used a stethascope (sp) to find the bad cylinder and readjusted the rockers on that one. Of course you can't run the motor as you do this because you have to remove the upper intake. I bought the Marvel oil today and will try it first. I wonder how long you would have to run the engine to know if it's going to work or not??

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
Just until the Genie pops out of the side pipe, LOL.

The British car guys swear by this stuff. Good luck and hope it works for you.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.