Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The license plate wiring in my MKI keeps blowing a fuse if I hook it up. There is an orange and black wire that has been cut by the previous owner/builder. I hooked the wires back up and blew one of the 15 fuses. It also takes out the rear lights for driving at night when the headlights are on. Headlights still work. The wiring setup is out of a 1990 Mustang. It all works fine if I dont hook up the license plate lights. What might be causing this?

Greg

·
Charter Member
584 Posts
Do you have a volt ohm meter?

You need to make sure the wire powering the bulbs is not shorting to ground.

On mine the solid black wire is ground and the orange & black wire is power.

It could also be a problem with the license plate light socket or even the bulbs.

You could try one bulb at a time.

good luck

Mark

·
Official OLD GUY
3,874 Posts
XchkEm,

This is obviousley a short in the license plate bulb circuit . . . test for a grounded wire. The wire is pinched somewhere after the connection to the rear bulbs and the license plate bracket.

HTH

Doc

·
Junior Charter Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the advice. I took apart the license plate light assembly and the orange wire was pulled from the connection to the lights. Plugged back in and its all working now. Now I got to work on the voltage meter gauge and the oil temp gauge. Both are not working and dont know why.

Greg

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
I had this problem. I finally figured out that it was actually shorting out inside the plate light itself. When I took it apart I found that it was grounding somewhere and causing the fuse to pop. I had to bend and grind some metal off and that did it. Another way to quickly test this is to run a wire straight from your batter to the license plate light with a fuse inline. If it pops the fuse, you know the problem is with the light or light housing itself and not the wiring. If it works fine when you do that, you are shorting out somewhere on this wire. Good luck.
Raul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts