Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2001 mustang donor car
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a workaround for the license plate between the light and the trunk latch?
I've seen people mount the trunk latch through the plate but that seems a bit much, the guy I got the car from suggested just cutting the plate to fit. I don't see any other option.
Thanks for the help
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Automotive tail & brake light Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

· FFCobra Fanatic
952 Posts
Jeff Kleiner (see "JKleiner") has a pretty nice mod to the light that lets you fit an unmodified plate (some states frown upon altering the plate in any way).

Either that, or get a new Mk 4 trunk lid.

· FFCobra Fanatic
952 Posts
Found a thread with the description...

· Too Cheap to paint!
6,703 Posts
Or just throw out the traditional handbook and build a recessed mount with hidden catch

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Reactions: G-Force

· Registered
2001 mustang donor car
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a thread with the description...

thanks so much, new the community and appreciate the help
KB

· 2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,834 Posts
Maybe they have more on their plate, maybe not. Got pulled over out of state, and a written warning, for no front plate on my daily driver. I must look suspicious.

It's not legal but I cut a niche in the plate. If I ever get caught I guess I figure it then. Seems the cops have more on their plate then that.

You cant tell unless your right on it.

View attachment 370477

· Well Used Member
268 Posts
I did the Kleiner license plate light modification, which took care of about 65% of the problem. I didn't want to cut the license plate, so I had Da Bat (Jeff Miller) build up the mounting pad on the trunk lid about 1/4 inch or so (during body work phase, prior to painting), to make up the rest of the clearance needed. Can't even tell it was changed, a perfect solution IMHO.

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Maybe they have more on their plate, maybe not. Got pulled over out of state, and a written warning, for no front plate on my daily driver. I must look suspicious.
Chicago area is big on it. They want that front plate. It was one of the few things the inspector wanted to see.

I got a ticket once for it in my Land Rover in all these years but I heard other getting tickets all the time. Getting closer to the inner city you are likely so I just throw a plate in the front dash of the SUV. Out by me in the Far west burbs I have not heard of people getting a ticket for it. I have been pulled over in the Land Rover and the cop never said a word.

With that said the Cobra will probably never go anywhere near downtown Chicago and I will take my chances with out a plate. Though I do have a bracket I can use and or the second plate behind the seat.

Jason

· Registered
Factory Five MKIV Roadster
50 Posts
I notched out a small section at the bottom of the license plate to accommodate for the handle. I've done this on 3 previous cobras and I've never had an issue with law enforcement.

We have a couple ex-police officers in the local cobra group. They told me as long as the STATE, the renewal stickers, and the plate name/identification aren't obscured then they don't bother.

Rules differ from state to state. For example in utah it's not required to have a front license plate.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Trunk Latch for Kia Optima LX EX 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 1.6 2.0 2.4L Tailgate Trunk Lid Latch Lock Actuator Motor and a APIELE 22mm Momentary Push Button Switch 12V Angel Eye LED Waterproof Stainless Steel Round Metal Self-Reset 7/8''. I did have to drill a couple of holes in the trunk sub layer to mount the latch but they don't show on the outside. Using the momentary button it fits the hole for the handle, I will have to fill the two screw holes but I didn't have to change the light or the license plate.

· Registered
2001 mustang donor car
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I purchased a Trunk Latch for Kia Optima LX EX 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 1.6 2.0 2.4L Tailgate Trunk Lid Latch Lock Actuator Motor and a APIELE 22mm Momentary Push Button Switch 12V Angel Eye LED Waterproof Stainless Steel Round Metal Self-Reset 7/8''. I did have to drill a couple of holes in the trunk sub layer to mount the latch but they don't show on the outside. Using the momentary button it fits the hole for the handle, I will have to fill the two screw holes but I didn't have to change the light or the license plate.
any pictures?

· Registered
2001 mustang donor car
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 25 Posts