Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone provide me with the vendor's website or phone number that sells the lexan or plexiglass windshields please?

Thanks

LuisL

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
This is where people have purchased them in the past: Fast Freddie's Fabrications - Fast Freddie's Lexan Roadster Windshield. I contacted him last year when mine broke and he wasn't selling them any more. But apparently is now willing to consider at least a pre-order. But still not a sure thing it seems. I ended up buying the glass only from Factory Five. But I've already decided if mine breaks again, will go this way: Optic Armor Flat Windows 24X72-3. Same material as I understand. Easy enough to cut out using the old windshield as a pattern. Local buddy did his this way and turned out perfect.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Edwardb. Thanks for the recommendation for the Summit item. Have you tried this before? Is the one that you stated the right thickness for a windshield?

Thanks

LuisL

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Hi Edwardb. Thanks for the recommendation for the Summit item. Have you tried this before? Is the one that you stated the right thickness for a windshield?

Thanks

LuisL
Not personally. But the local buddy I mentioned used that exact product (Optic Armor) and thickness (3/16) on his and it looks great. He said it was an easy install. It's available elsewhere including directly from Optic Armor, and maybe even a generic product would be cheaper, I don't know. But something I can personally say works, and I will immediately go to if I have to. The only difference is that Freddie's kit comes with a new rubber gasket. The Optic Armor or any other acrylic sheet obviously won't. If you're careful, you may be able to re-use what's in the windshield now. Or the gasket material alone is available from Factory Five.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,037 Posts
Plexiglass/acrylic is a no. Too brittle and will explode with a hard impact.

The hard coated polycarbonate is the way to go. I used the 3/16 Margard Polycarbonate.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
The hard coated polycarbonate is the way to go...
That's exactly what the referenced Optic Armor product is, of which there are other brands as I mentioned. Also what Fast Freddie sells. Good enough for race cars, boats, airplanes, etc. Has some disadvantages, which is why it's never been officially approved for automotive windshields. But strength isn't one of them.

·
Snake Farmer
10,297 Posts
I wonder why Fast Freddie's decided to stop selling them? It would seem he had a pretty good market for them for quite a few years. Perhaps more people were sourcing the material themselves, since it is fairly widely available. The real trick I would think, is the cutting of it.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,037 Posts
I used a plexiglass cutting blade in a jigsaw. Worked well. Make sure to tape over the windshield side and not dig the table into the plastic.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would also need an old frame to chop up and then powder coat. Any ideas who can have one?

Thanks

LuisL

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I bought a piece of AR2(abrasion resistant polycarbonate both sides) locally and cut my own using the glass as a template. There is nothing too tricky, just take your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,801 Posts
...The hard coated polycarbonate is the way to go. I used the 3/16 Margard Polycarbonate.
Ditto. I replaced my damaged Fast Freddie Lexan with 3/16 Margard MR II scratch-resistant Lexan and had the supplying plastic shop use my old Lexan windshield as a template. The one remaining question is whether you need to replace the rubber seal or not to get the Lexan to fit tightly in the frame? I re-used the seal Fast Freddie supplied me previously, so I can't really say if you can re-use the rubber seal that came with the glass windshield.

Sean

·
Snake Farmer
10,297 Posts
Rather than using a seal, would a caulking or sealant work?
I'd suggest urethane windshield sealer, but it would be a bitch to remove at a future date..perhaps black automotive silicone sealer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,873 Posts
A problem w/ using silicone is that the WS has a slight curve to it. So in the frame it would be tight against the rear of the frame in the center and tight against the front of the frame at the ends. I have used the professional WS sealer for other uses but this is one I would skip. Either the caulk tube type or semi-solid ribbon type is such a powerful adhesive it would make the lexan close to permanently attached to the frame. There may be something here that would work;
McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
153 Posts
While I have not changed a windshield I have seen the results of various sealing methods. The good thing about Lexan is it shouldn't crack but it will pit and may become cloudy.

I'd be cautious when using the adhesive sealants as you may damage the frame if you have to disassemble it. You may want to test a few methods prior to commitment. Not saying "don't" just urging a bit of caution.

One friend vented his frustration with removing the glass on a perimeter bonded assembly with a 3# hammer. Glass everywhere and didn't do the frame any favors but the glass was out.

I intend to switch to Lexan so I am curious as to what others have done. A "U" gasket seems to be a good idea.

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts