Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over some of my donor parts and have decided it is best to go with a new master cylinder and booster. Lurking around in here I noticed some of you guys are using a Mercury Villager set up. Please tell me how you like it and does the booster fit without any mods to my MK2.
Thanks a bunch, Rafael

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi. Full disclosure, all my knowledge is with the MK4. I have a Mustang cobra M/C from Breeze and a stock Mustang GT vacuum booster from summit, which complements my standard Mustang GT calipers very well, i'm very happy with the feel and it was not an expensive upgrade. Many folks use the Whitby solution which I believe uses a mustang vacuum booster, a modified M/C and components from a villager. You get everything in the kit, including a small piece needed to modify your frame for the booster. I ended up buying the parts myself as I had several of the components already and didn't need the full kit. More details can be found in this discussion: Parts for power brakes

I'm not sure about an MK2 but on the MK4 you do have to do a minor frame mod to fit the booster, it's not hard to do though and shouldn't scare you away. I also assume you have a mustang pedal box given the vintage which makes this an easier upgrade. If your body was already on, this is not an easy mod, but I believe I read you're starting from scratch.

Good luck!

·
Charter Member
1,010 Posts
When I built my MK2 the MC often used was from a 1984 Jeep Cherokee, Manual brakes, 15/16" bore. Most places that have it use a variation of part number 101896, like 10-1896 or 1 01896, etc. I'm still using it for street and track. It's worked fine for 18 years.
Robert

·
Registered
157 Posts
Depends on the feel you like and the calipers, I like the soft feel of power especially with the standard calipers I have (vs. wilwood). One thing to consider is if your pedal is modified or not. If not modified, then it is setup for power and will need a booster; alternatively you can get it modified to change the pivot point and give you more leverage for manual. Some vendors on here do it (Everson).

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I built my MK2 the MC often used was from a 1984 Jeep Cherokee, Manual brakes, 15/16" bore. Most places that have it use a variation of part number 101896, like 10-1896 or 1 01896, etc. I'm still using it for street and track. It's worked fine for 18 years.
Robert
I am still running the rear drum brakes. Do you think that would make a difference?

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Not really, it may work with power, but it would make for high pedal pressure on a manual setup. The accepted bore is 15/16", and yes the size would make a difference with manual brakes. That and it's twice the cost of the one from Summit.

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Robert
Wow $20 shipped!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts