Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what builders have done to improve leg room. I am 6' 3" tall with size 14 feet... not too uncommon. A FF roadster I recently drove was really crowded. I'd like to do some track days and touring so comfort is an issue for me. What solutions have been found?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,267 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and I fit fine with the following mods: (Mark 1 kit) No seat tracks, seat on floor and all the way back against the alum. Rebent both pedals to suit. It took several bends to get it right.14" leather steering wheel. Sun visors to keep the bugs out of my hair. Thats about it. Drive 9 hours to the Spring Fling each year, no problem!

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
I'm 6'3" w/ size 12 shoes. Mounted Kirkey seats flush to floor and as far back as possible. Now have 2,500 miles with no complaints. I bent the brake and clutch pedals for more room but did not do the driver's footbox mod. If I did it again, which I might, I'd do the footbox mod. If you include where you live someone might offer to have you try out their Cobra - not drive it, but sit in it. Lots of post about this issue. You'll be fine so place your order.
Pete

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,474 Posts
Do a search as there are tons of posts on this subject. Try to find bjandorff(sp?) posts as he has done a bunch and I think he is taller than you.

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Do a search as there are tons of posts on this subject. Try to find bjandorff(sp?) posts as he has done a bunch and I think he is taller than you.
Yup, Brian (bjandorf) is 6'6", I believe. He did a lot of the same stuff as I did (actually, I copied him) including lowering the driver's floor a couple of inches, bumping out the left side of the footbox, and angling the 2x2 bar that is directly behind the driver's feet.

I also used the Wilwood pedal box which gives a bit more adjustability and room, Russ Thompson's gas pedal, which I mounted on the outside of the 3/4 tube, and bumped out the right side of the footbox as well. I've only driven it in my garage (vroom, vroom) but it seems to fit pretty well with my Kirkey seats on top of a 2x4. I also got wider Kirkey seats (as did Brian) for a little more side to side comfort. I'm 6'3" with size 15's and my sneakers fit fine now.

Changed from this:

To this:

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
The easiest thing to do was to raise the steering wheel 1" on the upper bearing using short lengths of pipe and longer bolts. I had to notch the pedal box a bit as I raised the steering shaft. I also widened the footbox on the inboard side and added a dead pedal on the outboard side. I'm 6'2" and it feels fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts