Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been hashed around before. I have the seemingly typical dash flashing with the hazards and turn signals engaged. I have leds all around with diodes on the hazard switch and the solid flasher relays. Traced wiring and read and followed the trouble shooting advice in as many threads as I can find. Nothing fixed it. The closest thing to a fix is putting incandescent lights in my front turn signals. Works perfectly with them installed. Inclined to leave it, but wondering how to fix so I can run all leds.

Anyone else get to this point and find a solution?

Thanks
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Official OLD GUY
3,880 Posts
LED's

Trouble with LED's is that they aren't like normal diodes, even though LED stands for Light Emitting DIODE. They leak far greater than ordinary diodes and what you are experiencing is that leakage. Directional diodes in the hazards aren't going to help as the voltage is leaking at the LED not the in-line diodes.

ONLY way to make this work with all LED's is to completely isolate one side of the car from the other (left and right), there can't be ANY crossover any where (think hazard switch with common power feed or single dash indicator).

Simplest answer is leave the incandescent bulbs in your front or rear somewhere. It causes enough resistance to kill the LED leaking voltage.

HTH

Others may chime in with their own personal experiences and fixes . . .

Doc :beerchug:

Reactions: WIS89

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, at least it’s easy :)

Jason

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like it! Just popped in the incandescents and moved on. So close to first start. Filling up the liquids after the light bulb change. Wouldn’t you know it I have a hole in my freaking radiator. After it began pouring out from behind the shroud(had to loosen the shroud to be able to find where it was leaking. ) About 1/2 way up it was squirting a stream out

I don’t seem to be able to catch a break. At least this problem wasn’t if my own doing / lik the other 500 .

Sent an email to FFR, hopefully they can replace it quickly.

Have a great weekend
Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
The main problem with LEDs is that they aren't like normal diodes. They have the tendency to leak far more than ordinary diode and what you are describing is most probably that leakage. I don't think directional diodes in the hazards will help as the leakage occurs at the LED and not in the in-line diodes. You can leave the incandescent bulb nearby as it will create resistance to stop the LED from leaking voltage. Does any of you have any experience installing led lights for car interior?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts