Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to install some H4 LEDs today. I have a MKII with has the England style Headlight with removable bulbs.

The original setup uses this boot around the bulb, but I don’t think I really need it. Not like I drive in the rain, but maybe keeps some dust out. Just looking for some verification / thoughts. Thanks!

My other (potential) issue is: I tested one, very bright, but has some flicker. Hoping when I do the other side, it goes away, or guess I’ll need some anti-flicker whatevers.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Heat is going to be a determining factor and whether or not to keep the dust cover on. Leaving it on might end up creating some complications. You’re going to want to turn the lights on and test the amount of heat that radiates out of the back of the heat sinks. The LED ballasts can get quite hot.

Having said that, I wanted to share a little bit of experience and wisdom in the lighting area worth mentioning. You’re going to find (while retrofitting LED bulbs alone in halogen housings will appear brighter) there are common issue with this approach. These are the same issues with rebased HID bulbs being retrofitted in these housings which create scattered hot spots. The halogen reflectors are designed specifically to work with the output of halogen bulbs. There are even different qualities of these reflectors so results may vary. I realize changing bulbs is easy and less expensive which is why they are so popular. If your do a little research you’ll find there are a number of aftermarket 7” housings with optics designed specifically for both HID and LED which yields significantly better quality light output and patterns. Even in housings with optics designed specifically for LED and HID there are differing qualities and results.

There are a couple of reputable companies that have done comparisons on YouTube if you search for them. I don’t have a link offhand but I’ve posted information about lighting options on here in the past.

I realize this is unsolicited but I thought it is was worth mentioning. I’ve been exposed to the aftermarket lighting and retrofitting industry for 15 years and have friends who make a living in this area which exposed to the dos and don’t with lighting. HTH

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, and the further guidance. For the dust boot, I think I’m going to remove it. I agree on heat and airflow concerns.

I wasn’t aware of a retrofit concern regarding the housings. Good to know and I will take that into consideration. I read a bit on cheap LED housings with built in bulbs, but thought I’d be in more of the clear going down this path.

I’ll see how they do and determine if LED housings are on the list. A few other members have done some good write ups. Thanks!

·
Registered
671 Posts
In case the LED doesnt work out, you may want to check out Daniel Stern Lighting. He has put together lighting for several cars that i have built/restored. Always excellent quality and advice. He hooked me up with a set of Marchals for the FFR.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

·
Registered
493 Posts
In case the LED doesnt work out, you may want to check out Daniel Stern Lighting. He has put together lighting for several cars that i have built/restored. Always excellent quality and advice. He hooked me up with a set of Marchals for the FFR.

I used to get my European imported Oasram bulbs from him.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so cut out the dust boot and reinstalled everything. Looks pretty good overall, and the lighting seems decent. Won’t obviously know until it get it outside and driving, which will probably not be until spring!

Before I reinstalled everything, I let the lights stay on for a bit, to see how hot they may get, but thinking that without the car running, they are not getting up to temp, since they didn’t get very hot.

There’s a fair amount of wiring inside the bucket, mostly from the 3 prong connector to the bucket grommet, so I used some high temp loom to protect it. Hopefully there is enough room and circulation for things not to get overheated. May clean it up at some point.

Those little parking light housings have become brittle over the years, and I think I’m going to replace them. I may not even power them anymore.

Only other item to check is if there is a top and bottom to the LED? It seems to be correct, but may play around with it. Definitely noticeable between low and high beams!

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, have read good things about his products both here and on VMF. Thanks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Pics make it look like they’re 6000k color?

A good test for beam quality is to park it in a driveway facing a garage and check the pattern from 25’ away. It will allow you to adjust the beam and see the pattern better. HTH

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, picked up these on Amazon: Auxbeam LED Headlight Bulbs NF-S1 Series LED Headlights with 2 Pcs of H4 9003 HB2 P43T CSP LED Headlight Conversion Kit 50W 8000lm 6000K Hi-Lo Beam. Got good reviews so went with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts