Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my diff built by a local manufacturer (very reputable) last November. The invoice listed all they did which included filled it with gear oil. I know I should have checked this prior to installing it but I didn't. While I was going through the checks prior to the first go-karting session, I checked the fluid and it was bone dry. Pumped in the required 2 L of oil and replaced the fill plug. Went through the go-kart runs and noticed that the diff leaks. I contacted the manufacturer and after back and forth emails, he had this to say.
"Daryl,
My sincere apologies.
Unfortunately since November none of my staff can not remember the actual particulars of that build and pickup.
But seek comfort in knowing this will NOT happen again to anyone. I have instituted several measures to insure every sealed unit that goes out of here is filled with the correct fluid.
This is the first unit in 20 years that a unit has not been filled with fluid. That was my son!
Good thing you did your due diligence in checking the level prior to installation.
Stop by the shop sometime when I am here and we will remove and replace the diff cover and change the oil and extend the warranty one year from that date.
Many thanks for letting us know
."

and when I told them that the bolts were not fully tightened AND there was no sealant on the cover, I got this back.
"Daryl,
We all have been scratching our heads how this happened.
Was there any sealant (silicone) between the cover and the diff case?
It looks to us like we may have not sealed the cover and left the bolts loose because the C clips axles were coming out again to do some disc brake work?
Which is often the case with our custom builds, when a client is suppling his own brakes.
What do you think?"

After fully tightening the bolts it still leaked, just not as bad. Their response to this was:
"Daryl,
Bring her in, we’ll fix it.
XXX 988 6815."

Needless to say, I won't be returning it to them and I will drain it and replace the cover with a new gasket and sealant.
This is just a reminder that no matter how highly rated some company's might be - check and verify.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I guess I'd commend the company for not saying "It's your fault, not ours".

Agree should check and verify, although it is not always possible such as on an engine build or a transmission.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,703 Posts
I agree with Jeff. Why would you not take it to them and have it made right??? They are willing to fix what they seem to feel is their mistake and extend your warranty, if it were me I'd be taking advantage of that in a heart beat.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Daryl-

I have to confess that it looks to me like they are trying to do everything they can to make this right for you. I know it is a huge pain, but offering to make it right, plus extending the warranty by a year is much more than I have come to expect these days. Even their communication is conciliatory, trying to identify how this happened, and how they can make it right. Most situations like this in my experience, they have tried to blame me for the problem; go figure!

These things happen; each of us can share our stories of our own challenges. However, I think you have a company that is standing behind their product and trying to correct a mistake. I think this might be why their reputation is as good as you say!

Do whatever you think is right, but I would take it to them, and thank them for being accountable for the problem, and ultimately fixing the mistake.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Daryl-

I have to confess that it looks to me like they are trying to do everything they can to make this right for you. I know it is a huge pain, but offering to make it right, plus extending the warranty by a year is much more than I have come to expect these days. Even their communication is conciliatory, trying to identify how this happened, and how they can make it right. Most situations like this in my experience, they have tried to blame me for the problem; go figure!

These things happen; each of us can share our stories of our own challenges. However, I think you have a company that is standing behind their product and trying to correct a mistake. I think this might be why their reputation is as good as you say!

Do whatever you think is right, but I would take it to them, and thank them for being accountable for the problem, and ultimately fixing the mistake.

Good luck!

Regards,

Steve
I agree, too many companies wouldn't be so up standing and willing to admit a mistake. Sorry but your response seems petty.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Don't burn your bridges.

Having a local shop that you had confidence with before, fix their mistake and then extend the warranty is a good sign that your original confidence may have been a good call.

Thanks to your checking, no real damage was done, and you may need them again on a future project.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know people have had success with the silicone. take a look at Lube locker diff gasket. One look and I was sold. Holding up for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts