Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking over my car tonight and I popped the lid off the mc just for the fun of it. The front reservoir on my jeep mc was almost empty! I started looking under the car and found a puddle under the right rear tire and most of the paint on my caliper was gone. After closer inspection, all of my calipers have paint flaking off of them around the bleeders.
I haven't even go-carted yet! I have the car on jack stands and have run the rear wheels in an effort to break in the rear end, and I applied the brakes a few times to make sure they worked.
I checked, and they are tight. I didn't add any thread sealer when I installed them because they had a sealer already applied to the threads.

Any advice?

drew

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Check the bleeder holes. I got my calipers from Disc Brakes R Us, and they are powder coated. There was some PC inside the bleeder holes, and it prevented them from sealing. The bleeder hole has a tapered shoulder, sort of like an AN fitting. And the bleeder screw has a tapered end. So the sealing action comes from the taper end matching the tapered shoulder, not from the threads. I cleaned the PC from the shoulder, and then it sealed well.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
This is amazing...! This afternoon , I was rotating my right front tire , on my finished go-kart , and found brake fluid on the inside of the tire....Just a little , not enough to leave a puddle....My brakes have been finished for at least 6 months...Now comes this thread....I had assumed that the leak was in the banjo connection, I will now check the speed-bleeder...Thanks for the heads up.

·
Junior Charter Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barry,
I've got speed bleeders too.

drew

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Are they Russell speed bleeders? I had a set, and the thread sealer on them is so stiff that I overtightened and crushed them because I didn't feel them "bottom".

The Earl's Solo Bleeders are a better design, and won't crush.

Forrest

·
Junior Charter Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forrest,
When you crushed them, did you hurt anything besides the bleeder? I've got stock brakes front and back, and they're not expensive but I don't want to buy another set anytime soon.

drew

·
Registered
869 Posts
Drew,
I've never used speedbleeders on a car before but have on a motorcycle and I experienced the same problem. I found that the only way to properly seal it without crushing the bleeder is to attach a clear hose to the bleeder, tighten it 1/4 turn, press the brake pedal. If any fluid comes out, tighten again 1/4 turn, press the brake......

The instructions said that you could "feel" the bleeder bottom out but I never sensed it and this is the only way I knew to make sure.

In summary, I bet that you just don't have the bleeders tight enough.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Drew,

No didn't hurt the calipers. The Russel speedbleeders are soft brass tubular things, and they crush really easy. I just went back to the stock bleeders and all was fine. This was on stock T-bird disk calipers, BTW.

Forrest

1 - 8 of 8 Posts