Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the billet LCA/UCA's mounted but they seem a little overly stressed when I put the spindles in place. This picture is at full droop (at least until it stops itself):

If I turn the spindle like the steering would, but more extreme turning, the LCA allows the spindle to lower further.

Here's the LCA ball joint:

Does this look normal?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,785 Posts
Anything at full droop is not a concern. That's not where the suspension works when you drive it.
Yes it looks normal.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,358 Posts
Kevin

I see that you have the lowers on the inside hole. I think you told me that you were going with standard right? The inside is for pin drive. Which you have set up right now. Move the lowers to the outside hole. I asked Gordon this very question a couple weeks ago.

www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/002725.html

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jets, you're right. I actually tried both holes just to see if the billet arms were any different. The "binding" seemed to be even worse when in the outside holes so I figured I'd try the insides. I'll move them back to the outside.

Thanks for looking out for me.

·
Junior Charter Member
147 Posts
WOW! Those are nice...

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
This may be a non-issue, but I don't know much about who makes those LCA's.

Are they meant to be (std.) Fox width or SN95 width? Both I guess since I see they are adjustable.

The 94-up donor LCA's are 3/4" or so longer than the pre-94 donor parts. The newer model LCA's are designed to be mounted in the inner holes, and the earlier ones (Fox) are supposed to mount in the outer ones.

If your adjusters were turned in (shorter LCA's) then I suppose you would be closer to the Fox length LCA's.

If your adjusters were spun out a little more (longer LCA's) then you might actually be a little closer to SN95 length LCA's.

Which hole works best for your overall front suspension geometry is probably related to whichever length you have the LCA's adjusted to.

Sean

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,358 Posts
No Problem

I will be watching your build very closely because you are going with the same stuff I am going with (i.e brakes front and rear, billet control arms, SAI and Koni's all from Gordon.) Mine will be pin drive not standard. Also I have the SN95 dog leg since I want to run 275 up front.
Good job so far and I see that you are working fast on your build. I expect you to be in full roller by next week. NO EXCUSES!!!

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean,

You are correct, the inner holes are for the 94-up LCA's. I expect that it may not matter much which set of holes you use due to the adjustability but I'll check with Gordon to find out which set he has been using.

Jets, I made a half a*sed attempt to find a cheap set of dog legged spindles but I had already prepped my straight leg set so I didn't do much to find them. I've already ordered my 255 tires for the front so I figure it shouldn't really matter much now.

I made a bit of progress today. As the picture shows, I've got the front control arms and spindle mounted on the driver's side. I also got the drivers's rear IRS control arms and knuckle mounted along with the pumpkin and driver's axle.

I need to get the heim joint seals before I actually torque everything down and I'm waiting on the rear brakes and Koni's all around. They should be here Tuesday. I've already scheduled next Friday off so I also expect to be a full roller by next weekend. Don't worry, I won't let you down!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts