Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, starting the thread finally. Latest issue of the day is getting new wheel studs back into the hub. Is there a trick? 100 lbs of torque is a joke - more like 1,000 lbs lol.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,119 Posts
Dewalt makes good tools, but you really need an air gun. Lots more torque...

Reactions: lbodie

·
Premium Member
267 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
You can set them by hand. I used two 1/2" structural washers against the hub, then a 9/16" nut as a spacer, then another two 1/2" structural washers, and finally a Grade 8 1/2" nut. Put a drop or two of oil between the each washer & the spacer nut. Secure the hub from turning with a bar, and then get busy cranking that Grade 8 nut tight. Use the handle section of your floor jack as a cheater bar, and you'll be able to pull the studs in pretty easily.

·
Registered
44 Posts
See post #21 for the way I did this:

·
Registered
21 Posts
'If you give me a lever and a place to stand, I can move the world.’

or in your case, install wheel studs! Well done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went to the local tire shop and bought 10 lug nuts that fit those t-bird lugs. They were $20 and don't match the fronts, but having a 69 mopar, lefts were threaded opp the rights. Hate to press fit things in the same holes. HTH Andy

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Oh so sorry. You where using a tool to drive screws, with three adapter on it and couldn't understand why it didn't work. Each and every adapter greatly reduces impact torque, to the point you can stop it by hand

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

suspension components for front and rear prepped for install. Received a significant back order shipment but still missing front spindles

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a question about aluminum panel attachment. The manual says to mark/drill and infers to do that with the panel off. Why not screw it on then mark, drill and Cleco in place?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
To center the rivet holes to the frame, you need to drill them from the back side of the panel after marking the location of the frame. I suppose you can just drill from the front side but suspect you might have some holes that miss the frame

·
Registered
605 Posts
Also if you silicone between the frame and alum. panels you'll have alum. chips mixed with the silicone.
JR

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quandary of the day is connecting the rear spindle to the upper control arm. The instructions say to insert the angled mount adapter into the upper rod end. I have four of these adapters/spacers but I think they
shipped me the wrong quantities. See picture. Only have one of the angled mount adapters. It’s in the bottom right of the photo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts